What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford mondeo tdci 130 2003 model - blue smoke and engine cut out - lee74

Hi can anyone help me when i start my car from cold it struggles to start and alot of blue smoke comes out, it struggles to rev up as well. After 5 minutes driving the smoke disappears and the car runs fine, but occasionally will cut out on me and i jump start the car when it does.

Can anyone help?

Ford mondeo tdci 130 2003 model - blue smoke and engine cut out - matt1086
Hi have you had it serviced recently? Have the glow plugs been changed? Is the engine check light on? Regards matt

serviced it about 4 months ago,glow plugs were changed 2 years ago and the glow plug light keeps flashing on and off all the time matt.

Ford mondeo tdci 130 2003 model - blue smoke and engine cut out - Peter.N.

Glow plugs don't usually have much effect on common rail engines, mine start instantly without them. On and IDI engine I would have said classic symptoms of low compression but unlikely on yours I would have thought. I think you need to get the fault codes read.

2years maybe start there it is a cheap and easy also there are probably due some. Also check the egr unit works is it the solenoid or vacuum actuated clean it they always clog up and can cause these symptoms Also do u have to use a jumper pack to jump start it once it cuts out?
2years maybe start there it is a cheap and easy also there are probably due some. Also check the egr unit works is it the solenoid or vacuum actuated clean it they always clog up and can cause these symptoms Also do u have to use a jumper pack to jump start it once it cuts out?

Ive had the car read and there is no faults coming up and when the car cuts out i just drop it into 4th and it cuts back in

Ok well when the glow plug light flashes on and off all the time is this when u drive also or just for around 5 secs on ignition? For the engine cutting out if this is just after a cold start check for contaminated fuel or water in fuel filter this will give poor starting aswel.

So to summarise.

I would change them glow plugs they heat the chamber in turn help with the Atomisation of the fuel when cold which lowers the flashpoint when compressed.

clean out the egr if you not mechanical minded someone will have made a video on YouTube on how to! This can cause lots of smoke.

Check the condition of the earth under your battery this is for the engine cut out.

Check there is no water in fuel filter if so then change. This is also for the engine cut out.

All of these can cause the problem you are experiencing.

I hope this helps regards matt.

Ford mondeo tdci 130 2003 model - blue smoke and engine cut out - gandaulf

blue smoke on startup is usually down to leaking valve stem oil seals, as for the cutting out this is usually the cam or crank sensor breaking down when hot.