What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Civic vtech - Opinion about high mileage Honda - Residesinsurrey

Hi I was wondering about purchasing an economical car and one has been offered to me. Honda Civic 1.4i VTech . Trouble is the mileage is very high at 160000. I am only going to need it for a short period of time and the person is selling it for £600 , It comes with full service history . I would love to hear anyone's opinions ,

Edited by Residesinsurrey on 01/08/2012 at 22:22

Civic vtech - Opinion about high mileage Honda - Avant

Don't be afraid of high mileage if you have had a a test drive and everything feels all right. Any £600 car is a gamble, but the previous-shape Civic was a good car, and as you need it only for a short time you could well be lucky.

Thanks for your response! the car's year 1998/99 . What year was the previous shape that was good?

Many Thanks

Edited by Residesinsurrey on 01/08/2012 at 22:30

I was thinking of the 2001-2007 version; but the one before that, which you're looking at, was good too.

Thanks for your feedback Avant

Civic vtech - Opinion about high mileage Honda - gordonbennet

Daughters 04 2.0 litre S type is now around 130k, runs and drives like new, as Avant says, that particular model must be one of the best quality mass produced cars ever made, i'd put it firmly equal first with Corolla.

She has every intention of running it till it pegs out, totally dependable.

Just do the usual checks carefully.

edit ''What year was the previous shape that was good?''

The model that ended on 2005, so '99 should be the same one....no, Avants probably right, 99 will be rounded not angular, good car though.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/08/2012 at 22:35

Sounds really impressive !! thanks so much for your feedback ! I guess its worth a gamble .

Cheers

Civic vtech - Opinion about high mileage Honda - elekie&a/c doctor

1998/9 will be the same shape as Rover 200/400.A lot more reliable than newer Honda models and built in the UK.hth

That was the Honda Ballade surely, rather than the Civic? Also a good car, but earlier than 1998/99.

Civic vtech - Opinion about high mileage Honda - TeeCee

I thought that:

Ballade = Triumph Acclaim / Early Rover 216. Marmite styling, fairly reliable.

Concerto = Rover 216 / 214 / 416 / 414. Bulletproof with either badge.

Civic = Later 400 / 45 series and probably what we're talking about here. Let down by "K" series engine in Rover guise.

Is that not correct?

Civic vtech - Opinion about high mileage Honda - elekie&a/c doctor

Ballade is a uk built equivalent of the original Rover 213/216 model from the early/ mid 80,s.Triumph Acclaim is a different car.Yes ,Civic is later and as suggested had k series engine in Rover variants.hth

Civic vtech - Opinion about high mileage Honda - TeeCee

I thought that both the Acclaim and the later, more angular, 213/216 were Ballade clones?

They certainly look like different facelifts of the same car....

Civic vtech - Opinion about high mileage Honda - 72 dudes

Not quite, IIRC the Acclaim was a 4 door Civic. At the time you couldn't get a 4 door Civic but the interiors of the Acclaim and 3 door Civic were virtually the same. Similar front grille too.

The Ballade was indeed a later 213/216 clone (or vice versa)

I worked in a BL Jaguar/Rover/Triumph Dealership as a valeter in school/Uni holidays from 79 to 83, and the quality of the Acclaims coming through versus Maxi, Ital, Allegro and Princess was quite remarkable. They rarely went wrong either.

As others have said, £600 for a car is not bad if it lasts a few months, but it could last a lot longer. The model will be like a 214 with a Honda engine.

Civic vtech - Opinion about high mileage Honda - concrete

I would not worry about the engine, Honda are tough and reliable. I ran a 2 litre petrol for 160000/17 years, then gave it away. The engine was still like a sewing machine, but suspension and cv joints were worn. For £600 you can't really go wrong. If you get 3 trouble free months then it has only been £50 per week, where can you hire a car for that?

Sounds like you may have a well looked after little gem that may just run and run. Best of luck. Concrete