What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Mk 6 - Changing low profile tyres - Mikeellsi
My Fiesta is fitted with low profile 195/45/R16 tyres and the front alloy wheels are distorted and loose air. I have purchased new alloys and want to fit normal same size tyres. Can I fit new normal tyres to the front and leave the low profiles on the back until they wear out?

Thanks
Ford Fiesta Mk 6 - Changing low profile tyres - Peter.N.
You can if the overall diameter is the same but I don't know what the legal aspect would be as the handling would be different with the more compliant front tyres. Providing you don't drive like a lunatic you shouldn't have a problem. It wouldn't bother me but not everyone drives as gently as I do.
Ford Fiesta Mk 6 - Changing low profile tyres - Peter D

What size are you thinkig of fitting. Do you have ABS sensors on all 4 wheels. Regards Peter

Ford Fiesta Mk 6 - Changing low profile tyres - 72 dudes

You should probably inform your insurance company too as your car will be wearing non-standard equipment.

Thanks for your response. ABS sensors are on all 4 wheels. The new Alloys are the same R16 6.5 J as the old ones I just want to fit 195/45/R16 standard tyres on the front or back and use the low profiles on the other axle until they wear out. If this is a problem would buy 4 new standard tyres.
Any assistance before I make a major purchase is appreciated
Mike
Totally unclear. Will you have 195/45/R16 on all four corners. ? Regards Peter
Ford Fiesta Mk 6 - Changing low profile tyres - jc2

ALL 45 tyres are the same profile-it's the 45 that denotes the low profile-a normal tyre profile is 75 or 80 and the 80 is not shown-75 usually is.

Sorry if I confused you all. The existing tyres are Continental sport which are 195/45/16.with low profile on the wall.

I have 2 new Kumho tyres same size 195/45/16 I want to fit to the front or back . They look to have deeper walls but are off the car at the moment. I appreciate all your help as I now understand the new tyres are the same low profile with the same tyre size and hopefully I can get them put on my new wheels and run with the existing 2 good Continentals..Mike

So all the tyres will be the same 195/45/R16 so no problem. 45 does not define the profife as it is a % of the width of the tyre. So the wider the tyre the higher the rim will be off the ground and the greater the circumference.
Regards Peter
Ford Fiesta Mk 6 - Changing low profile tyres - skidpan

A 195/45x16 will be the same size regardless of make within a few percentage points. Tyres tend to look taller when they are off the rims, once fitted and inflated the shape changes. In my experience Michelins tend to have a wider tread area for a given size but measured across the widest part of the sidewall when fitted will always be very close.

You will need to tell your insurance company you are fitting non-standard rims even though they are the same size as the originals. Should you have an accident they will probably try and avoid paying since it will be considered that you have modified your car. Will probably add zero £'ss to your premium since they are the same size.

Where does the OP say he is not fitting standard Ford alloys. Regards Peter

Thank you everyone for your assistance. The new wheels are Ford standard alloys not new but nearly and same size as the originals. All seems ok to just fit the 2 new tyres and 2 old tyres on the new wheels.
Mike