What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Most efficient gear at low speeds - mike25

My Jazz has an indicator which tells me when to change up/down. It indicates 5th gear at about 22mph and it travels well at that speed with no hint of labouring. At that speed the revs are around 1200 - well below the maximum torque figure. The engine piston frictional losses increase with the square of the revs so the highest gear would seem to be the aim, but would mpg figures be better if I stayed in 4th up to say 35mph, where the torque is potentially higher. Perhaps I am talking rubbish.

Honda Jazz - Most efficient gear at low speeds - dieselnut

The engine will be at its most efficient pulling the highest gear without labouring.

As long as you don't expect it to pull up a hill at those revs. The higher the revs the more the losses in the engine from alternator, water pump, power steering etc & friction as you alluded to.

Honda Jazz - Most efficient gear at low speeds - skidpan

Cannot believe its happy at 22 mph in 5th. Dad had a Jazz an the engine was flexilble but not that flexible.

Forget the idiot light on the dash, we managed without them for the best part of a century, don't need them now. Drive in a gear the car feels comfortable in.

Honda Jazz - Most efficient gear at low speeds - daveyjp
The indicators are nonsense. You wouldn't ride a 24 speed bike in gear 24 at less than walking pace as you would use to much energy and tire, a car is no different. The test is what happens when you floor it, if nothing, wrong gear. 3rd is often very flexible for urban environments.
Honda Jazz - Most efficient gear at low speeds - unthrottled

The indicators are nonsense.

So the people that designed the engine don't understand the torque curve or the maximum load that the bearings can handle at a given RPM whilst maintaing adequate lubrication?

Most people drive around in too low a gear because they are lazy. They use the engine as a coaster brake because it saves them from switcing pedals and because they can't smoothly downshift if they need to accelerate.

It takes maybe 5 wheel horsepower to maintain 22 MPH on level ground-less than the mechanical power required to spin the engine at 1500 RPM.

5hp at, say, 1250 RPM=21lb.ft of torque. Even for an n/a 1.5 that is about 1/4 of the available torque.

I cruise at very low engine speeds. That's why I get 20% better than official combined economy and most people can't get within 10% below. If you need to accelerate drop straight to third, then move back to fifth. It feels weird at first but does yield dividends in fuel economy.

, but would mpg figures be better if I stayed in 4th up to say 35mph, where the torque is potentially higher. Perhaps I am talking rubbish.

The available torque is higher. You will not be using anywhere near that to maintain speed. It is the torque that you are using/requesting that matters, not the Wide Open Throttle curve.

Honda Jazz - Most efficient gear at low speeds - Avant

The DSG in my Octavia would agree with Unthrottled: at 30 mph it's normally in 5th (out of 6). The petrol TSI engine has plenty of torque and has some acceleration in reserve in 5th if needed, although it will soon drop down to 4th.

Honda Jazz - Most efficient gear at low speeds - ChannelZ

The 100hp 1.4 petrol Mk6 Astra I had rented a while ago wanted 5th gear at less than 30mph. Sad thing is, unless you were travelling downhill, the feeble engine could drag the 1400kg car along in anything more than 3rd.

Those gear indicators are a joke.

They do what they say on the tin.

Obviously driving in third at 30 is more convenient-but if you want to chase those mpgs, you have to do your bit.

Another thing to remember in these discussions is that not all cars are geared the same.

It's much better to select the gear for the job in hand rather than slavishly changing gear at a fixed road speed or RPM. Trucks can get by with less than 10hp/tonne at rated output. Even at 1000 RPM you'll have more than that. Select-A-Gear-For-The-Day drivers would be better served by automatics; you wanted 3 pedals-Use them!