What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic 2006 - Overcharged for spark plugs on a service? - richt2

This is the first time I've posted on here so hopefully I'm following the forum rules with my post.

On a recent service with my 2006 Honda Civic I was charged 4 hours for the service at cost of 120 (excluding VAT) and amongst the charges for parts was 4 spark plugs (IZFR6K-11S) at 49.92 each (excluding VAT).

The garage didn't call to ask my consent to replace the spark plugs and I paid up when they gave me the bill, but following it up with a bit of research I've found these sparks plugs online at about £50 (including VAT) for a pack of 4.

It appears I've been well overcharged and I'm a bit cheesed off that they didn't call to ask me if it was ok to replace them. Normally with any work on a call I'd expect a garage to call.

Am I right to expect them to call before doing the work? Any comments would be appreciated as I'm going back into the garage to discuss it with them tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

Honda Civic 2006 - Overcharged for spark plugs on a service? - unthrottled

4 hours is a lot of labour for a service. To be fair, the spark plugs are probably scheduled for renewal at a major service and Honda probably specify a particular type. Personally, I think £50 is a lot for four plugs (let alone one) , but if tyou want the car to be serviced to Honda specifications your wiggle room might be limited.

Honda Civic 2006 - Overcharged for spark plugs on a service? - wemyss

Has there been a change in spark plug technology in recent years ?.

We haven’t had a petrol car since the early eighties until I bought a new 1.2 Fabia for the wife in 2007. The main dealer did the first three services and I have done it since.

In the past 10,000 miles was always the recommended renew interval and usually one removed them at 5000 to give them a wire brush clean and check the gap.. However in the Haynes manual it gives the spark plug renewal interval of 40,000 miles for the Fabia and also says there should be no need to remove until then.

Surely these can’t be the same type of plugs as the ones I bought at £1.00 for four.

wemyss

Honda Civic 2006 - Overcharged for spark plugs on a service? - bathtub tom

>> I was charged 4 hours for the service at cost of 120 (excluding VAT) and amongst the charges for parts was 4 spark plugs (IZFR6K-11S) at 49.92 each (excluding VAT).

So you paid over £300 (excluding VAT) for the service?

I'd query the price of the plugs and perhaps mention trading standards.

Honda Civic 2006 - Overcharged for spark plugs on a service? - craig-pd130

Those Iridium spark plugs are easily available for about £15 apiece. Have a word with the garage.

Honda Civic 2006 - Overcharged for spark plugs on a service? - elekie&a/c doctor
Spark plugs for these are approx £20 each from Honda.1.4 has 8 plugs ,1.8 has 4 plugs .Change interval is 72k miles.hth
Honda Civic 2006 - Overcharged for spark plugs on a service? - Tonto1

I'm confused. The plugs were clearly a rip-off at nearly £50 each, but £120 for 4 hours labour seems amazingly cheap - are you sure there's not a few typo's or mix ups on the invoice? It's certainly worth querying.

From experience, you should also get a follow up call from Honda, just to ensure A) you are a happy customer B) Ensure the garage are maintaining standards and not letting the brand down. Use this opportunity to mention to Honda (call them if they haven't called you).

However, I do believe there's a good chance the plugs would be due a change at this kind of age (depending also on your mileage. Did the dealer not offer you the normal fixed menu service (level 1, 2, 3 or 4) for cars over 3 years old?

Honda Civic 2006 - Overcharged for spark plugs on a service? - injection doc

For goodness sake talk to the garage ! without knowing more details of your honda engine some of them take 8 plugs and have long life plugs at around £20 each.

twin plugs were fitted for improved economy and some of the speciali tip plugs were fitted for longer service intervals, especially the dsi engines.

Absorbing comments about spark plugs at £1.00 each is very old technology for old cars and some cars must have the correct plugs fitted !

I myself have corrected so many engine management problems in the past just due to DIY's cheap skating on plugs thinking they know best. Its not just about the tip but also the resistance value of the plug and heat technology.

Talk to the dealer, express your concerns and Im sure they will explain, may be they have overcharged but if so I'm sure they will correct the issue