What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Garage fitted V rated tyres to front instead of H - Mikey Jay

A fast fit place fitted V rated tyres to the front of the car when I specifically asked for H rated tryes. Does this matter? The tyres were fitted on 27 Apr '12. I dont want to make an issue of this if I can help it. Could it affect the handling? I should have had the tracking done at the same time, as the vehicle doesn't feel so surefooted on the roads over 30mph approx. The tyre depths are approx 7mm on the front. Does anyone know where I can find out what the new tread depth should be or how to find out?

What is the best thing to do now? What are my consumer rights. They also charged me for chrome valve caps which I didn't get and dont want anyway.

Thanks guys.

Honda Civic - Garage fitted V rated tyres to front instead of H - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

With a 70mph national speed limit, it should be academic as to wether or not to fit tyres with an H (up to 210Km/h - 130mph) or V (up to 240Km/h) speed rating. As you ordered H rating and they could get V rating in the size for your car, they probably thought that they were doing you a favour by fitting the 'better' rating tyre. My own thoughts when changing tyres are as to what will suit my car and driving style. The roads in my area are atrocious, so I go for a soft, quiet, comfortable tyre (T rated - up to 119mph. My car won't do 119mph!). They may wear out quicker, but I like my comfort. If you like to drive your Honda Civic in a spirited manner, and many do, then a 'harder' tyre may be better for you, but why worry about speed rating unless you regularly travel at 130mph? Look at the tread pattern and general construction of the tyre instead. Be wary of metallic finish valve caps! Proper chrome steel ones are OK, but I was once given a set of metallic ones and they turned out to be aluminium... and they corroded on to the valve threads over a couple of weeks in winter! Took me ages to prise them off!

Edited by MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom on 29/05/2012 at 12:07

Honda Civic - Garage fitted V rated tyres to front instead of H - thunderbird

Regardless of the fact that the national speed limit is 70mph replacement tyres need to be of the same or higher speed rating specified by the manufacturer. If your car was fitted with V rated tyres and you replaced with T rated of the same size and have an accident your insurance company will have a reason not to pay out. The speed rating not only about speed, its also about the construction and manufacturers do many 10's of thousands of miles of testing to find the best compromise and then homologate that specification. In such circumstances the Police have also been known to prosecute.

As far as the OP's post is concerned you will be fine, you have got better tyres than original.