Recoendation on supermini below 5000?? - bear807
I'm currently driving a 53 reg Honda jazz altomatic closing up to 100000 miles, it serves a really good car over the past 2 and a half year, only problems occurred so far is some battery flat, failed alternator and rusty exhaust box which fall of in the middle of motorway. I'm planning to change to a newer car and have serveral questions, my budget is roughly around 4k-5k, this include my car to be part exchange.

My daily commute is around 25 miles 5 miles city traffic and 20 miles dual carriage A-road sometimes might be 40 miles a day depends and weekly I do a trip of 80 miles round trip motorway to the city. My car does no less then 47mpg, cost around 35-38 every 230-250 miles

In my case of driving given the higher price of diesel over petrol is it sensible to go for diesel? Used diesel appx 50000miles is the most ideal for I would like to look at, for the maintainence part is diesel expensive and is it reliable? Or should I just stick with petrol.

After searching around my area on autotrader, I might be looking for serveral vehicle such as:

-Newer Honda jazz around 40-50k on clock
- ford fiesta old shape 1.4 tdci 30k-50k miles 05-56reg
- new shape corsa 1.0, 1.2
-Mitsubishi colt new shape
-Astra 1.3 ctdi (many ex- gov or companies cars, around 50k mileage, I know is not a supermini)

Any other vehicle that will suit?
Probably want a reliable car with least running cost as possible, insurance group 4-5 Max. Your recommendation is welcome!

Edited by bear807 on 23/05/2012 at 20:37

Recoendation on supermini below 5000?? - unthrottled

The 1.3 cdti is a waste of time. The 1.7 is much livelier and gets better mileage.

Tbh, at 47mpg, and very few problems you'll be struggling to find anything significantly better. Small diesel/auto combinations will be of the automated manual variety and these units aren't always the most robust not the slickest at shifting . There are myriad diesel/manual combos that would give good mileage and reliability.

Thanks for your suggestion, Manuel transmission is absolutely fine!
Recoendation on supermini below 5000?? - unthrottled

In that case try the Fabia 1.9 Tdi (especially the vRS version). It has looks only a mother could love and the pd lump is a bit gruff but the blend of economy and performanve is superb.

It seems he insurance is group 9 :( that's high I'm paying 700 annually for group 3 group 9 probably over 1k
Recoendation on supermini below 5000?? - Auristocrat
Could also consider the first generation Mazda 2 - Fiesta based, Ford mechanicals, etc - which almost rivals the Jazz for practicality.
Recoendation on supermini below 5000?? - tony g
Renault Clio 1.5 non turbo diesel ,we've owned a 2006 and have just replaced it with a 2009 ,£30 a year tax ,group 2 insurance ,55 mpg ,cheap to service and repair .A lower mileage 2006 can be bought for £4000 .

The Clio has nothing to recommend it as a drivers car ,but as a cheap comfortable commuters car it ticks all the boxes .

Tony g
What sort of mileage on the clock can you get for 4000? At my aera all the mileage is 60-80k. Many of them are petrols version. Is the cilo you mentioning is an old shape? I have a friend which have a cilo says it has quite abit of fault especially electronics, has it happened to you?
Recoendation on supermini below 5000?? - tony g
Hi bear,
(What sort of mileage on the clock can you get for 4000? At my aera all the mileage is 60-80k. Many of them are petrols version. Is the cilo you mentioning is an old shape? I have a friend which have a cilo says it has quite abit of fault especially electronics, has it happened to you?)

Silver Clio 1.5 diesel
Currently for sale on autotrader ,trade with px possible 2006 ,newer shape diesel 54000 miles fsh ,HPI clear ,new mot ,taxed 3994 .no problem with the electrics on ours .

Regards

Tony g
I almost forgot about this car, is really rare in my area. Thanks for your opinion!
Recoendation on supermini below 5000?? - Avant

Nobody has mentioned the Toyota Yaris yet. My elder daughter is on her fourth - all trouble-free and more fun to drive than road testers give them credit for. Tha ppalies to the 1.3 - the 1.0 is underpowered.

I'd say your choice is between the Yaris, another Jazz, Mazda 2, Skoda Fabia or Fiesta. Avoid the Jazz semi-automatic.

Yea thanks! I have been looking at one of those it is power enough for 1.0 to pull a new shape 5 door? At my area there has been quite a few 1.0 3 doors. Fabia is really great, I have seen some really good ones 4-5 years old 20-30k mileage in my budget, unfortunately my wife doesn't like it :(. Maybe the styling and the brand. Why you don't recommend the auto jazz?the gearbox Is quite refine and smooth, only problem is the maintainence bit need to carry out cvt oil change every year and can only be done at dealer..
Recoendation on supermini below 5000?? - Avant

The Mark 1 Jazz CVT automatic is fine. Honda for some reason known only to themselves fitted a semi-automatic gearbox to the firat Mark 2s, but have recently seen the error of their ways.

For £5,000 you're probably looking at a Mark 1, so no problem if you want an automatic.