What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate (vision blue) - Probs with peeling on ford focus - vicstar

Hi, hope someone might have come across this before. My focus is a shiny blue colour, not 3 years old yet ( I have owned for 1 year). I have noticed clear lacquer peeling from the front corner. Nothing has happened to the car, that I know of. I am taking into a Ford bodyshop next week but wondering if the warranty will cover it. It says in Ford booklet 1 year for paint and 5/6 years for perforation but this is more corrosion from the inside. The blue paint is intact (for now) but worried about it spreading over other areas. Also noticed inside the stereo buttons, a couple of those are flaking. This isnt what I was expecting from a £10,000 car and am starting to get slightly worried. I have owned other cars for 5 years or more and never noticed flaking buttons and flaking lacquer on outside. Wished I hadn't got such a shiny car now. Any advice greatly appreciated not a good first experience with a ford car!

:) A female motorist! :)

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate (vision blue) - Probs with peeling on ford focus - MikeTorque

The Vision Blue is a nice colour and not noted for flaking off. If the lacquer is coming off in only one area then either something externally has caused it or there has been a faulty application of paint/lacquer applied.

Could a 3rd party have attacked your cars paintwork and caused the peeling ?

If you are sure it has nothing to do with yourself and the paintwork hasn't been attacked then ask the garage for a respray of the whole wing to be done under a warranty claim, paint/lacquer simply should not come off if it has been applied correctly, however, it will come off if some sort of abusive substance has been applied externally.

The radio buttons, it's possible the previous owner have had something on their figures that has reacted with the buttons and caused the peeling, one wonders if they could also have leaned against the cars front corner and caused the lacquer peeling problem.

Whatever the cause, the lacquer can be rectified, the buttons can be replaced, again it's worth asking for them to be done on warranty. Garages vary in what they allow to be done on warranty so it's always asking questions.

Once you get the work sorted out hopefully you'll be happier you have a Vision Blue car, one of the nicest Ford colours around IMHO.

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate (vision blue) - Probs with peeling on ford focus - vicstar

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it :) hopefully I will get somewhere with it.