Toyota Previa 2.0 D4d - Coolant in sump?!? - QualitySteve
Just a bit of general advise please… I have regularly visited you site over the years and everyone seems to know their onions!!

I have a 2004 Previa 2.0 T3 Diesel, covered 118k miles which I have owned for the last 4 years. She has always been serviced on the button and never had any problems.. I even treated her to a main dealer cam belt / pulleys, water pump, coolant and oil change just over 5000 miles ago..

However over the weekend cruising along at 70mph on motorway, the car just stalled (no smoke, no warning lights, no buzzers, no prior indication anything was wrong!) coasted to hard shoulder , and tried to start it once and it would go… long story short, the car was recovered by the "AA" to and independent garage due to where we were, who have indicated the engine has locked solid and on investigation they have found there is "3-4 litres" of coolant in the oil sump which in their words "sorry, your gunna need a new engine mate"…?!?

Any idea of this type of failure mode? I have always been led to believe that water in engine is normally a head gasket failure… (however no mayonnaise effect when ever i have checked the oil nor has the temp ever risen above normal!!)... I maybe being paranoid but could there be a link to the new water pump / cam fitment? (by design I guess water pump failure would cause water exist outside of engine?). Just need some ideas or pointers as what could have caused such a catastrophic failure so soon after a service without any warnings??

I feel a strongly worded letter making its way to Toyota UK as the dealer who serviced it do not seem interested or helpful in the slightest given my concerns :-(

Just a general enquiry any thoughts would be greatly welcome !

Thanks for time !

Steveo
Toyota Previa 2.0 D4d - Coolant in sump?!? - thunderbird

When was the last time you checked your oil and water? If that amount of water has left the cooling system and entered the sump it will have taken a while.

Don't expect Toyota to be interested, its 8 years and well out of its warranty.

Best of luck

Toyota Previa 2.0 D4d - Coolant in sump?!? - RT

Given that the engine is mid-mounted under the floor on a Previa, with extended filler tubes for oil, coolant etc you need to ask the question whether coolant has been added to the wrong filler tube, possibly when you had work done 5,000 miles ago.

Toyota Previa 2.0 D4d - Coolant in sump?!? - madf

There is a history of Head Gasket failure and Toyota have replaced full engines foc given the correct service history.

Ask at your local Toyota dealer. And if they so no, try another...

Well known issue - see Toyota Owners Club.

Toyota Previa 2.0 D4d - Coolant in sump?!? - QualitySteve
I checked it during the mad panic weekend when everybody was queuing to buy fuel, while I was waiting oil was just below the top line on dipstick+ there was visible pink coolant in the expansion bottle. It has never been an oil burner and temp has always been constant..

Agree with the 8 years and warranty they even said on the phone "well it is an older vehicle, these things happen" ! (gee thanks a lot for that!).

Thanks for reply, is appreciated !
Toyota Previa 2.0 D4d - Coolant in sump?!? - sandy56

Definately try Toyota, there is some history of this problem and if you have a good srvice history they may help.