Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - poppycock

Hi fellows,

I was searching for a used 2011 face lift Merc cdi 220 sports 125 and saw this ad.

Apparently this guy claims to be in South Wales and can deliver anywhere in UK on reciept of full payment. Interestingly his Ad said cdi 220 where as in pics car has a badge showing 250 trim. Told me car was cdi 220 but badge was changed. I asked if I could view the car on Friday to which he said he was going to part exchange by Wednesday for a 12 plate Merc if car wasn't sold by Wed (I called him today, Monday).

He had a similar spec merc but in white which was taken off autotrader only 3 days back. When I asked if he had a white Merc as well but he denied having it at any stage.

Interestingly his asking price is around £2k below dealer price not usual too good to be true sort.

Any suggestions from experienced members on this forum?

Ad link:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120744939...p

Thanks

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - Mike H

Yes, and it involves the word "bargepole"......

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - bathtub tom
can deliver anywhere in UK on reciept of full payment.
So he wants the cash up front

his Ad said cdi 220 where as in pics car has a badge showing 250 trim. Told me car was cdi 220 but badge was changed.
He can't be bothered to get the details correct

I asked if I could view the car on Friday to which he said he was going to part exchange by Wednesday
He's trying to rush you into a decision

He had a similar spec merc but in white which was taken off autotrader only 3 days back. When I asked if he had a white Merc as well but he denied having it at any stage.

He's a proven liar

Do you really need to ask? Anyone who gets taken in deserves to lose their money.

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - Man without a plan

Tell him you are down in South Wales on business tomorrow (or your father in law lives down that way etc...) and you / he want to have a look at the car before purchase..

See what he says to that, i'm guessing you'll see some tumbleweed rolling past through the silence.

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - Ethan Edwards

Mention that you were supposed to be on duty but swapped shifts and your Chief Inspector has given you the day off to go see the car. Watch him disappear into the sunset. The car is of course located in that part of S Wales known as Lagos.

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - unthrottled

The only genuine bargains for the lay person are unpopular marques and models (Nissan Almera etc).

Experienced and knowledgable buyers can take punts safe in the knowledge that they can sort out most problems.

The best advice is to give up bargain hunting!

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - bathtub tom

The only genuine bargains for the lay person are unpopular marques and models (Nissan Almera etc).

OI!

I've got one them.

My other car's a KIA Pride.

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - unthrottled

OI!

I've got one them.[Almera]

Good for you! You've got a solid car, for probably very little money. I'm not sneering!

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - oldroverboy

OI!

I've got one them.[Almera]

Good for you! You've got a solid car, for probably very little money. I'm not sneering!

OI OI ! Got the epica aug 2010 for £7000 @7000 miles ex Chevrolet apart from initial warranty problems and dodgy dealers has been an excellent car, now done 24000 miles since purchase and a very satisfied punter!, but there again car was a very good deal just when chevrolet were flogging them off cheap!

Edited by OldRoverboy on 26/03/2012 at 19:10

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - tony g
Hi pc ,I don't think any body would part with such a large sum of money without having possession of the car .

The price is ok ,you would expect a private seller to be £2k cheaper than a dealer ,but the cars not that desirable in flat red with a cloth interior,99% of Mercedes are sold in metallic paint .

If you google the guys number ,it comes up attached to an add for transit body kits . If you want to try to buy the car ,travel to south Wales ,view the car ,then do a bacs transfer into his account .Do HPI the car ,including mileage before you travel .you can also check the cars history with Mercedes uk .
Finally take someone with you .potentially you could lose the car and your money.

Regards

Tony g
Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - poppycock

Thanks to everyone who replied esp Tony g.

I was after a white Merc and saw his ad for white merc with exactly similar specs except Cdi 220 but priced at £26000. Two days back white Merc disappeared from auto trader and while searching for another one, saw this ad and recognised same mobile number and spot where pics were taken. I wasn't suspicious about him until he denied ever having a white merc for sale (I casually asked him why did he mention " something different from white" in his ad) and also you can see title says cdi 220 when car badge is cdi 250. Also claiming that if he didn't find a buyer before Wed he would be part exchanging for a 12 plate Merc seemed laughable. 61 plate is December model and why would someone upgrade only for 12 plate for the same model? Plus having two 61 plate mercs for sale one after another as a private seller is beyond my wisdom.

Regards

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - barney100
Wouldn't let my worst enemy get that car, there are lots oof good deals on Mercs around.
Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - madf

Would I pay anyone - a private individual - £20k for anything without credit checking them as a person?

Nope.

Mercedes CDi 220 2011 - Genuine Ad or a con---Mercedes cdi 220 - tony g
How would you do a credit check on a private individual ?