Ever dealt with ebay? - Carl2
I notice that ebay have Vauxhall parts cd,s. Some Ford and some Vauxhall technical cd,s. I would like to purchase these parts but I have never dealt with them before. What worries me is giving out my card details. The items are not of great value so I don,t really worry about them. What do you think? Are such cd,s available from anywhere else?
Ever dealt with ebay? - Blue {P}
Can you not use Paypal or send a cheque?

Blue
I think Paypal (what ever this is ) was ok for two of the sales .
1 did specify no personal cheques.
Ever dealt with ebay? - frostbite
Carl,

One of us is confused here, and at the moment it's me!

Do you mean you are bidding on auctions on ebay? - as opposed to dealing direct with ebay, which I have never come across.

Look at the feedback of the seller - indicated in brackets after their name, click on the number if you want to see how long they've been registered + what others think about them.

You give out your card details to ebay on their secure server - people you buy from don't get that info. I did this years ago, and (touch wood) have never had a problem, but if you do get dodgy goods, or no goods, it's easy to 'chargeback' through your card co. and get the debit cancelled.

HTH
The goods are on sale at auction, however a purchase price is quoted. Am I not dealing direct with ebay if I give my card details to their secure server? Please excuse my thickness.
Ever dealt with ebay? - Carmad 10000
I use ebay quite a lot. Basically the way ebay works is that everyone is effectively a private seller or established shop. They all have a number by their names and that indicates the number of people who would recommend them from previous transactions. This is a good way of finding out if their any good. With regard to the payment situation it is as follows:

you either have a standard auction or an auction with the Buy Now system. With Buy Now you can effectively cut out bidding for the item and end the auction early by paying the cost indicated. If this is supported by Billpoint or Paypal you can pay with a credit card. Do consider though that the clearance of funds can take upto about 8 days. Alternatively you can pay by cheque directly to them. Ebay insures you upto the value of £250 if they b***** off with your money I think anyway.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions you can email me at chughes163@ntlworld.com
Ever dealt with ebay? - alapppy
HI

I buy and sell quite a bit on ebay.. It is quite safe Use nochex if possible as it transfers the cash without giving your bank details to anyone ebay does cove your back but he safest wy to bid it to check teh sellers feedback if they have no red marks you are quite safe
alan
Ever dealt with ebay? - smokie
I recently had a bad experience with eBay, goods were paid for, cheque paid in but they never arrived. eBay have a compensation policy which will refund up to (I think) £135 in the event of fraud - they deduct £15 to cover the claim. This was my first bad transaction of many, and I neglected to read the seller's profile, where I would have seen that he was notoriously slow at delivering. I eventually reported to eBay and the police, and I now have the goods.

When setting up as a seller, you need to give account details - this is where your auction charges are billed to. It's also where eBay credit NoChex and PayPal payments - so the seller never gets to know your card details.

Established sellers can create a Dutch auction, where they have multiple identical items for sale, and can also set a selling price which is what you are seeing - not a true auction.

Heed the advice regarding seller's rating and you should be safe enough.