What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying Ford. Need advice Please. - Tux

Hello

I am going to buy a Petrol Ford focus, I narrowed it down to 3 cars.

2005 Zetec. 53000 miles. price 3500.

2006 LX. 73000 miles. price 3200.

2007 LX. 80000 miles. price 3750.

All 3 come with warranty, serice history. No cambelt done on them. The 2007 one is AA warranty.

The 2006 is cheaper, 2005 is Zetec and 2007 is newer.

If all are in good condition, what car gives more value and have better resale price?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Tux on 24/02/2012 at 19:10

Buying Ford. Need advice Please. - jamie745

If resale price is important to you then i'd recommend you look elsewhere as Ford's shed value quickly, however the ones you're looking at have lost most of their value already so resale price will depend more on its condition when you're done with it.

The zetec may have snazzy wheels but in truth its got very little the LX doesnt, except for a worse ride and worse fuel economy. The Ghia's and Titanium's in good condition hold their values the best. Which engine are you looking at? The 1.6 is pretty gutless in truth.

1.6. It is for inside town commuting. More than that will be useless with the traffic.

On your post 2006 one sounds like a better buy.

Sadly the 2006 was sold.

Will you go with 2005-05 plate for 3500, or 2007-07 plate for 3750?

Cheers

Buying Ford. Need advice Please. - BigJohnD

The zetec may have snazzy wheels but in truth its got very little the LX doesnt, except for a worse ride and worse fuel economy. The Ghia's and Titanium's in good condition hold their values the best. Which engine are you looking at? The 1.6 is pretty gutless in truth.

That's about right. The seats are awful too - you sit on them, not in them - and the A/C saps a huge amount of power. Petrol MPG is not good; the diesels are better though

Buying Ford. Need advice Please. - Roly93

For what its worth I would go for the Zetec, slightly more desirable to re-sell, I think possibly better soundproofing than the LX (Ford are notorious for using soundproofing to make higher spec models seem better).

We had a 53 plate 1.6 Zetec it was a generally trouble free car with good gearing for motorways (unlike the 09 plate Focus we have now which revs like mad at speed).

I wouldn't worry about depreciation as most of this has happened already and shoudl not be too bad if you keep the car tidy.

Buying Ford. Need advice Please. - tanvir

I have a 58 plate 1.6 Zetec.

Currently averaging 38mpg in mixed driving, it's not slow. It surprised me when I test drove it , as I assumed a 100hp petrol wouldn't move. But it's fine.

Buying Ford. Need advice Please. - jamie745

Currently averaging 38mpg in mixed driving, it's not slow. It surprised me when I test drove it , as I assumed a 100hp petrol wouldn't move. But it's fine.

Fair enough. I had an 07 plate 1.6 Zetec automatic and that was uninspiring. Im sure with the manual gearbox its fine, the automatic really didnt work well with the 1.6. Also the ride on the zetec is decent enough if its got good tyres on it, unlike the low profile nonsense so many owners opt for.

Buying Ford. Need advice Please. - Roly93

I think its more a perception of speed rather than actual speed. We have an 09 plate 1.6 focus style, ok different trim but same mechanicals and the ridcularly low gearing makes the car peppy around town, but asthmatic on the motorway. We get abot the same MPG on average with low 40's on a run..