What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car of the Year finalists revealed - Trilogy

The seven-car shortlist for the Car of the Year competition has been revealed.

The finalists are the Citroen DS5, Fiat Panda, VW Up, Range Rover Evoque, Ford Focus, Toyota Yaris and Vauxhall Ampera.

Fiats tend to win. It doesn't look a very exciting line up to me.

Car of the Year finalists revealed - unthrottled

Nope. Why is the evoque there again?

Nope. Why is the evoque there again?

I didn't realise it had been there before. :)

Oops-bad choice of words!

Surely it'll only need one year to scoop every prize going in a vulgar display of jingoistic sycophancy? Then we'll never see it again!

Car of the Year finalists revealed - dieseldogg

Nice to see the Toyota Yaris on the shortlist, seeing as wes has ordered one.

I do like the Evoque but problaby would never buy one.

Car of the Year finalists revealed - jamie745

The Evoque is probably the only vaguely interesting car on that list. What on earth is a Vauxhall Ampera? Never heard of it.

Car of the Year finalists revealed - Man without a plan

Ho can the VW Up be car of the year when it isn't even out yet???? Confuzzled

Ho can the VW Up be car of the year when it isn't even out yet???? Confuzzled

The Jury Committee draws up a list of eligible cars from all the newcomers presented over the previous 12 months. Eligible cars must be essentially new models, not simply cosmetic changes or the installation of new engine or a transmission. All new models are considered irrespective of their country of origin but must be available in at least five European countries at the time of voting and have an expected sales volume of 5,000 a year. These cars are then tested by the jury members at launches and at events organised by the jury, such as a week-long test event in Denmark in September every year.

The Jury then elects a short list of seven cars in a simple vote. After this jury members gather to test the shortlisted cars at various events organised by the jury itself.

For the second stage, each Jury member has 25 points to apportion to at least five cars, with a maximum of 10 points for any one of them, and produces a statement of justification for his or her vote, which is published at the time of the award presentation. Each jury member’s vote and justification report is published. This year’s winner will be announced on March 5 th at the Geneva Motor show.

Car of the Year finalists revealed - Bobbin Threadbare

The Ampera is the elctric Vauxy.

www.vauxhall-ampera.co.uk/index.php/eng/home

Glad to see the Focus hasn't lost it's touch!

At least the cars on this kind of list are ones that are/will be available to drive for the regular motorist, rather than some crazy Ferrari or Koenigsegg models!

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 09/01/2012 at 16:21

I dont like the new Focus really. Looks like a Kia.

Car of the Year finalists revealed - Roly93

I dont like the new Focus really. Looks like a Kia.

I think this too, I also think the Focus is gradually getting worse. Our 09 plate Focus is not such a good car in terms of smoothness as our 53 plate Focus was with the same 1.6 petrol fitted. The new Focus is very expensive also.

Car of the Year finalists revealed - Avant

I don't think it will be British. Politics shouldn't come into something like this, but they do, and not many Europeans like us very much. (This is, I presume, the European COTY.)

I'd say it'll be between the VW Up and the Vauxhall Ampera (which will be seen as American).

I don't think it will be British. Politics shouldn't come into something like this, but they do, and not many Europeans like us very much.

And we dont like them so it works pretty well.

Eurovision politics aside, it's pretty hard to see how the Evoque justifies the sobriquet. 'car of the year'. Its success is important to LR but no one else.

At least there's nothing Japanese in the list.

Car of the Year finalists revealed - balleballe

I take it the Yaris is assembled elsewhere then?

Car of the Year finalists revealed - xtrailman

The list is a joke.

I wouldnt buy any of them.

France, the last time I looked.

Car of the Year finalists revealed - MikeTorque

Missing from the list - the eco friendly Reliant Robin, it only uses 3 tyres, and only 2 tyres whilst going round a bend !

Car of the Year finalists revealed - grimep

The Evoke is a style excercise designed to relieve the well-heeled of much money, and I'm sure it'll be a big success in those terms. The motoring press seem to love it, and it is them that vote, so I guess it'll win. Meanwhile, back in the real world....

Car of the Year finalists revealed - Andy P

The criteria is "The 59 members of the Car of the Year Jury all test cars as part of their journalistic work. In selecting the car of the year they use the following criteria: design, comfort, safety, economy, handling, performance, functionality, environmental requirements, driver satisfaction, and price. Technical innovation and value for money are particularly important factors."

My money is on the Ampera.