What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot expert 53 1,9 non turbo - Too much oil in my diesel van - philippe
Hi , yesterday I put too much oil in my 1.9 diesel Peugeot expert van . I drove about 10 miles today and then it start smoking , clacking noise and rev went well up.
Stoped on the side of the Rd , no oil spell temp of engine was about 80 but could not start .5 min later it started like nothing happened no smoke no noise drove nice .
3 miles later at a round about , it started again smoke noise and high revs .
By looking around on this web site , too much oil was the problem ( I think )
So I drain 4 pint of the oil . The oil level it's now half way min/ max . What shall I do next .? Do you think I made lot more damage ?thanks .Philippe

Edited by philippe on 08/01/2012 at 19:21

Peugeot expert 53 1,9 non turbo - Too much oil in my diesel van - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Peugeot expert 53 1,9 non turbo - Too much oil in my diesel van - Peter.N.

If its going OK I wouldn't worry about it, if you get lubricating oil entering the cylinders the engine will run on it but it probably won't happen until it gets hot and thin, if it had done any damage you should have noticed it by now. The engine can run away out of control but if yours didn't it shouln't have caused any damage. Now you have reduced the oil level it shouldn't happen again. Top the oil up to the full mark.

Peugeot expert 53 1,9 non turbo - Too much oil in my diesel van - bathtub tom

Top the oil up to the full mark.

Why? It's between max and min.

Peugeot expert 53 1,9 non turbo - Too much oil in my diesel van - Peter.N.

Because full gives the optimum protection, if its only half full and not checked regularly it could become dangerously low.

Peugeot expert 53 1,9 non turbo - Too much oil in my diesel van - bathtub tom

Because full gives the optimum protection

Sorry, I don't buy that. The manufacturer decides the oil level should be between max and min. Below the minimum or above maximum not being optimum.

I suppose it could be argued that by keeping the oil level at maximum means you're carrying that much extra weight, affecting fuel consumption, brake wear etc.

Now there's a new topic. Keep your oil level at minimum to optimize fuel consumption. Discuss. ;>)

Peugeot expert 53 1,9 non turbo - Too much oil in my diesel van - philippe
Hi , yes it was well over max level so I drained 4 pint . So now I should fill it back up to max .
Thank you all for your good advise .Philippe