Zafira A (99-05 model) 1.6 Life - Conflicting advice on tyre pressures? - Moneyer

My wife recently bought a 2005 Zaf A. It came with no manual, but I just found a PDF of it which seems to say the rear tyres should be at 46psi when fully laden. But the databases used by tyre companies say the max laden pressure is 30-something!

This matters because the tyres fitted say "max pressure 44psi", and I guess if they are not suitable for the recommended pressures then she has a claim against the dealer...?

Any idea why the tyre companies' figures would disagree with the manual? I guess there must be a LOT of Zaf A's out there on max 44psi tyres. Are they all unsafe?

Edited by Moneyer on 01/12/2011 at 12:34

Zafira A (99-05 model) 1.6 Life - Conflicting advice on tyre pressures? - TeeCee

Should be a sticker inside the fuel filler flap with the manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures on it. Mine says 2.2 bar all round, or 2.6 front / 3.0 rear when loaded to the gunwales. That's 32psi all round or 38 front / 44 rear in old money.

Where did you find a PDF of the Zafira "A" manual? Only one I've found circulating is for the "B" version.

Zafira A (99-05 model) 1.6 Life - Conflicting advice on tyre pressures? - Moneyer

Should be a sticker inside the fuel filler flap with the manufacturer's recommended tyre pressures on it. Mine says 2.2 bar all round, or 2.6 front / 3.0 rear when loaded to the gunwales. That's 32psi all round or 38 front / 44 rear in old money.

Where did you find a PDF of the Zafira "A" manual? Only one I've found circulating is for the "B" version.

No sticker to be found, unfortunately. The PDF I found is at....

safemanuals.com/314159.php?k=718371446c69a14310926...L ZAFIRA

Sorry, the link doesn't seem to come out quite right. Here is a link to the page I found it FROM.....

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/zafira-owners-handbook.210415/

Doesn't actually say it is the Zaf A, but I'm pretty sure for looking at the pictures (eg. dash layout) that it is. Can anyone with a paper copy confrim it is the right one?

Edited by Moneyer on 01/12/2011 at 13:46

Zafira A (99-05 model) 1.6 Life - Conflicting advice on tyre pressures? - TeeCee

That's interesting, certainly looks like the right manual (although the UK english one I aquired has a pic of the car on the front), yet rear tyres under load says 3.2 bar / 46 psi, yet mine clearly says on both the sticker and in the manual (english and german agree) 3.0 / 44.

Aha, I think I have it. Engines listed here are all "Z" types, but I have an X18XE1. This manual is for a later vehicle than mine(!) What year's your car? Mine's 1999.

Page 201: "Tyre pressure, see page 270, and the adhesive foil beneath the fuel tank flap;" - I wonder where yours went?

Zafira A (99-05 model) 1.6 Life - Conflicting advice on tyre pressures? - RT

According to the VxON website, that manual is for a 2003 Zafira.

As far as petrol engines go, the X---- series finished July 2000 and the Z---- series started August 2000, that's factory build dates ie the difference between model years 2000 and 2001.

Aha, I think I have it. Engines listed here are all "Z" types, but I have an X18XE1. This manual is for a later vehicle than mine(!) What year's your car? Mine's 1999.

Page 201: "Tyre pressure, see page 270, and the adhesive foil beneath the fuel tank flap;" - I wonder where yours went?

This one is on a 55 plate (so one of the very last ones made before they introduced the "B" version).

Good question about the "adhesive foil"! I guess it wasn't adhesive enough :-). Or else the dealer realised it was on the wrong tyres and removed it so nobody would know, but that seems a bit far-fetched even for a used car dealer. Although it is a bit odd the manual is missing, since it has all its other docs (eg. the radio manual and even the original sales receipt from when it was brand new....)

Zafira A (99-05 model) 1.6 Life - Conflicting advice on tyre pressures? - Victorbox

I can't imagine there is a great difference between the recommended tyre pressures for a Zafira A 1.6 and a Zafira B 1.6 as follows from the Owner's Manual:- Normal pressure is 29psi front and rear with up to three people and fully laden 30psi front / 38psi rear on any tyre size: 195/65 R 15, 205/55 R 16 or 225/45 R 17.

Edited by Victorbox on 02/12/2011 at 15:16

Zafira A (99-05 model) 1.6 Life - Conflicting advice on tyre pressures? - jc2

Correct me if I am wrong but are people really arguing the difference between 44 & 46 psi?-they'll be lucky if their gauge is that accurate.

Correct me if I am wrong but are people really arguing the difference between 44 & 46 psi?-they'll be lucky if their gauge is that accurate.

I think we're arguing (or rather, politely discussing :-) the difference between 38 and 46, which seems quite significant when the tyres are only rated for 44!

Zafira A (99-05 model) 1.6 Life - Conflicting advice on tyre pressures? - boggles

My wife had a new Zafira diesel on a 52 plate, there was never a sticker for tyre pressures, either in the fuel flap or around the doors. You had to read the handbook, difficult I know, if you don't have one! They were 32psi all round on that one, I can't recall the max load spec.

The Zafira "B" diesel she has now,also has no sticker, are they just a myth? Anyway, the 58 plate one has 35f and 32r, and full load or towing the van, it goes to 38lbs front and 45 rear, so if you need full load pressures, I guess you have to fit tyres which can go that high.