What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
FORD FIESTA 1.4 TDCI 53 - COLD AIR FROM HEATER & ENGINE TEMPERATURE INCREASE - TW1711

Car temperature usually normal but noticed it was at top of "normal" range this afternoon. I switched on car heater but only cold air blasted into car. Despite this the temp gauge did return to middle of "normal" range.

Got home and turned engine off but fan carried on running for at least 5 minutes.

Help please! Any idea what it could be? ...and more to the point how much (ball park figure) it could cost to repair at local Ford Dealer.

Thanks

FORD FIESTA 1.4 TDCI 53 - COLD AIR FROM HEATER & ENGINE TEMPERATURE INCREASE - dadbif

have you checked the coolant level? sounds like the engine is overheating because of lack of coolant and the heater is cold because there is no coolant in the heater matrix..

FORD FIESTA 1.4 TDCI 53 - COLD AIR FROM HEATER & ENGINE TEMPERATURE INCREASE - TW1711

have you checked the coolant level? sounds like the engine is overheating because of lack of coolant and the heater is cold because there is no coolant in the heater matrix..

Hi.

No, not yet. It was dark when I got home so I figured lack of light and hot engine means that I should wait until tomorrow morning.

I'll check that though, thanks.

Embarrassed to say that no coolant at all. Not happy because I'd assumed this would be checked at last service.

Anyway, how long do I wait before using car when coolant level filled from being empty?

Thanks

FORD FIESTA 1.4 TDCI 53 - COLD AIR FROM HEATER & ENGINE TEMPERATURE INCREASE - madf

There may be air trapped in the system preventing it from filling properly. Start the engine and (carefully) squeeze the larger coolant hoses. This may loosen air bubbles.. As it's a diesle it will not warm up idling.. So

Carefully check coolant : and top up if needed.

Short drive 3 miles.

Check coolant agin..

Leave to cool before topping up - if you open coolant cap when hot you risk danger of scalding water burns.

And continue until coolant level is stable.

I trust you are using the correct antifreeze mix?