What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo Gearbox fault - dev1984

Hi,

I stupidly brought a car from carcraft...i know...

Was driving along went to drop from 3rd to 2nd at a junction lost power, 1st and 2nd gear nothing happens its like i have the car in neutral. 3rd 4th 5th 6th and reverse are all fine.

Mechanic who came out to me said selector is working fine its a fault inside the gearbox.

Another mechanic who i spoke to today while picking up parts for someone elses car said it sounds like the selector...?

any ideas?

Carcraft have said the "warranty" company NAC (nothing actually covered) wont pay labour costs for the "mechanics" (i use that term lightly) to strip it down find the fault and put it back together, i'm really not feeling paying £240 labour costs just to have some idiot at NAC say no sorry that's not covered.

If someone know's what it is would be great, OR is it really just a case of it needs a new gearbox??

Car is still sat in carcrafts car park so going to get it back off them tomorrow as i've not see anywhere on the internet a single person have any luck getting this NAC to pay out.

At least i can start pricing up etc..

Thanks

Andy.

Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo Gearbox fault - Peter.N.

Hi Andy

Its very unusual for the gearbox internals to fail - although not impossible. The selector for 1st and 2nd are the same which indicates an internal fault but I would get somone who knows what they are doing to check the linkage.

If it is the gearbox a secondhand one would probably be the cheapest way out, its very unlikely you would get another faulty one.

Peter