What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 2008 - Ford Fiesta - White Smoke When Started From Cold - Adamy

Hi, I'm looking to buy a ford fiesta 2008 1.4. I've found one I want to buy & test drove it, all was ok. I went back 3 days later for my wife to test drove it & it struggled to start, on the 3rd attempt it started but loads of white smoke came out of the exhaust! So we left it in tick over for a while & smoke continued to come out. The salesman spoke to the mechanics & they said the vacuum hose was not connected to the air filter that’s why it struggled to start & smoke came out. They had serviced the car. This sounds reasonable but my concern is that I test drove the car for about 15 minutes up to speeds of 80mph so has this caused any long term damage? Also is the mechanics answer true or just sale speak? Thanks Adam

Ford Fiesta 2008 - Ford Fiesta - White Smoke When Started From Cold - Adamy
Sorry forgot to say its a Petrol, thanks
Ford Fiesta 2008 - Ford Fiesta - White Smoke When Started From Cold - 547HEW

Is it a petrol or diesel?

Ford Fiesta 2008 - Ford Fiesta - White Smoke When Started From Cold - MikeTorque

Somewhat careless servicing which begs the question what else did they miss ?

Unless the car feels right to drive or you experience a fault before/during/after a test drive then walkaway from that particular car. Much depends on how much you are paying for a car but in general any car being sold by a garage/dealer must be in MOT condition otherwise it's not fit to sell/buy or drive.

I test drove several used cars prior to purchasing, 3 had problems, one (a diesel) was leaking exhaust fumes into the cabin, another a sudden lose of power and black smoke came from the exhaust (a petrol) I needed to gently limp it back to the garage, on 2 other cars the clutch biting point was too high which suggested the clutch has been ridded, walked away from them all. Suggest you do likewise if you find similar problems.

Ford Fiesta 2008 - Ford Fiesta - White Smoke When Started From Cold - madf

Just imagine if they are that incompetent/could not care less when selling, how bad they will be if you have a problem after buing it.

Don't walk away : run.