What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus TDCi 2004 - heated front windscreen - theho

Hi

a number of the heater wires in my windscreen do not work (in front of the driver's seat typically!) and do not demist that part of the window. Is there anything that can solve this, except for fitting a new windscreen obviously?

Thanks in advance

John.

ford focus TDCi 2004 - heated front windscreen - Astret

Hi,

looks like you are outside the warranty period. As far as I know the only way to get the elements fixed involves a full windscreen replacement. I have the same problem with my 2009 focus but they refuse to do it under warranty anyway.

Sorry couldn't offer more hope!

Astret

ford focus TDCi 2004 - heated front windscreen - MikeTorque

The 2009 Focus is covered by the Ford Warranty, give the dealer a kick or go elsewhere to get it fixed.

Quote from Ford :
"Glass replacement due to heating element failure is covered throughout the Ford Base Warranty period."

The 2004 Focus would need a new windscreen, the mark up on price should only be around £90 above a normal windscreen replacement price, don't let anyone try to rip you off by quoting £400 or so, it pays to shop around for this item.

ford focus TDCi 2004 - heated front windscreen - thunderbird

Quote from Ford :
"Glass replacement due to heating element failure is covered throughout the Ford Base Warranty period."

Problem is the Ford base warranty period is only 1 year. The next 2 are a dealer backed warranty and nothing much is covered except the engine block and gearbox casing. Everthing else is classed as "trim" and trim is not covered.

Good point, it's a major weakness with a Ford warranty, only 1 year Ford Base Warranty period. No wonder Vauxhall spotted a huge opportunity in the market and now offer a much better 100,000 miles Lifetime warranty.

A Ford Direct Warranty does cover such things for 2 years, does that apply in the case of the 2009 car ?

ford focus TDCi 2004 - heated front windscreen - injection doc

Ford warranty 1year Ford 2 years dealer.

I have always used the same dealer and not had any issue's with warranty whatsoever, I had an anoying rattle which took them three goes to find when it was two years old but all done FOC. I guess if you get a good dealer then best to stick with them.

My heated screen wires are just starting to fail and its a 58. I'm sure a big stone chip will be along shortly followed by a big crack on a cold morning

My 2009 car is not covered

Edited by Astret on 21/12/2011 at 11:41

apparently because the screen has previously been replaced with a pilkington screen rather than a branded ford screen.

ford focus TDCi 2004 - heated front windscreen - thunderbird

apparently because the screen has previously been replaced with a pilkington screen rather than a branded ford screen.

Of course your screen is not covered. How could Ford cover the screen or associated parts when someone else has worked on the car. Any warranty you have will be with the company who fitted the replacement screen, logic really.

This is how a fully functioning Quickclear windscreen should work :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpROemcd4E

NB: the middle vertical line is the last to clear, is this the tiny section inbetween the individual left & right heater element sections ?

Edited by MikeTorque on 21/12/2011 at 13:40