What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic - Bargain pre-registered outgoing model? - voxish

We're looking to replace our excellent but now 5 year old Honda Accord Tourer and have just seen an Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic with our local Audi dealer at £25,495. At about £7,000 less than list this looks to be a great deal so what's the catch?

Its registration date is late Sept 2011 so it's a 61 plate with delivery mileage. Should I rip his arm off or are there better deals out there?

Edited by voxish on 27/10/2011 at 15:00

Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic - Bargain pre-registered outgoing model? - idle_chatterer

Underpowered perhaps ?

Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic - Bargain pre-registered outgoing model? - voxish

Underpowered perhaps ?

I did think that but 10,000s of these have been sold over the years - if it wasn't fit for purpose I'm sure it would have been discontinued a long time ago! It depends on a test drive of course and if it doesn't feel right then I may reconsider.

If there's anyone here who actually has one please let me know. The reviews all seem very positive TBH.

Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic - Bargain pre-registered outgoing model? - Chris79
Hello,

We have an a4 tdie with the 136hp engine and it does not feel underpowered at all. I think although I'm not sure that the a6 tdie has a more powerful version of the engine.

We are very happy with our car overall, however the only criticism I could level at it is the system it seems to have for protecting the dmf. If you try and pull away with the revs to low the engine will cut out to protect the dmf, I had to adjust the way I drove to get used to it.

Hello, We have an a4 tdie with the 136hp engine and it does not feel underpowered at all. I think although I'm not sure that the a6 tdie has a more powerful version of the engine. We are very happy with our car overall, however the only criticism I could level at it is the system it seems to have for protecting the dmf. If you try and pull away with the revs to low the engine will cut out to protect the dmf, I had to adjust the way I drove to get used to it.

We bought the car - test drove it absolutely fine - it may be the base model but it seems to have everything we need on it. Nice to see a proper spare wheel in the Audi - got caught out with a sidewall puncture on the Honda a couple of months ago and spend a frustrating 4hr wait to be Relayed home as a result Tyre repair kits are useless with anything worse than a normal puncture:-(

I dare say we'll get used to the DMF problem you mentioned - I guess you get used to it... (and I don't even know what a DMF is LOL). I imagine it's analogous to stalling in a manual car. Thanks for the tip - any more useful advice for this car would be most welcome! Very pleased with it so far - and especially with the £7,000+ discount!

Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic - Bargain pre-registered outgoing model? - Roly93

Underpowered perhaps ?

Shouldn't be at all, its just a model which has been replaced.

Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic - Bargain pre-registered outgoing model? - daveyjp
Audi have over 500 of these to shift. A business colleague was offered one on lease at £250 a month.
Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic - Bargain pre-registered outgoing model? - Falkirk Bairn

If there are 500 to clear try the Brokers - Autoebid, for example, might just manage to get a better price than the local Audi crystal palace.

Hmmm if this is true, selling them off cheaply could affect sales of other marques and the new model A6 Avant - not to mention the effect on their own second-hand sales... on the other hand as a loss-leader into future Audi purchases and ongoing servicing etc it could be a shrewd move.

I'm very happy with the deal I got and the car.

Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic - Bargain pre-registered outgoing model? - Chris79

Voxish,

Glad to hear you are happy with the deal you got, 7000 off list price is not to be sniffed at!.

A couple of tips for the audi, Check your oil level regularly. the diesel a4 we have now is not to bad - we've only had to top the oil up once in 13K, The petrol a3 prior to that had a thirst for oil.

Audi in Essex and i guess nationwide have a deal where you pay 9.99 and the top up all your fluids and wash / clean the car whilst you have a coffee. Mindful of the price of fully synthetic oil this seems like an absolute bargain to me!.

MPG wise we get 50 mpg round the town and 55-57 on the motorway. The increase in economy was noticable once the engine had got past 8-9K.

Other than that our car has been problem free, Fingers crossed yours will to.

Audi A6 TDIe Avant multitronic - Bargain pre-registered outgoing model? - Buster Cambelt

I tried a new model A6 Avant on Friday, despite my intentions never to deal with VAG again.

A 'fantastic deal' on old model A6 Avants was mentioned about 20 times while I was there so they must have a few to shift!

Didn't like the new A6 at all anyway so all academic!

Thanks for the tip, Chrish79. All is good so far, great round town and very smooth and comfortable on the M1. Weird not being able to enter a full UK postcode on the sat-nav but otherwise the media interface is pretty good!

@bustercambelt... What's your complaint with VAG and what's not to like about the A6 (over and above relatively minor details)?

My only complaint about my experience with Audi is the same as car salesmen everywhere that they try too hard to ingratiate.. But I've been round the block a few times and I know month-end approaching is a good time for deals. I dislike car reviews which are prejudiced for and against a particular brand or differentiate on sporty handling and suchlike - can't see the relevance on UK roads for 99% of drivers! YMMV of course....