What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - daiking

I'm looking for a small, cheap, automatic car. On Autotrader locally there are quite a few late '90s Micras and a few Daihatsu Sirions (I'm discounting the Corsas, Clios and Puntos)

Checking the car by car breakdowns, I was surprised by the negatives on the Micras, I thought they would good reliable little cars. With the Sirion, I'm worried about it breaking and no one knowing how to fix it as I don't have a tame mechanic I can call on to help. In both cases, the late 90's automatics aren't covered. I know that cheap means I shouldn't go for a specific model but I thought I would be safest with a Micra, am I wrong? I don't have any experience with Autos so I'm not even sure what I need to check when buying one.

Any advice?

If anyone wants a laugh, my search is Altrincham, up to 30 miles, up to £1500, 5 door, automatic, 1.0L - 1.3L but my wife is impatient and I am destined to buy the least worst car I see this weekend.

Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - tony g
Hi,daiking.
I think you're probably right when you say that the micro is not the ultra reliable car that it used to be.I took one in part exchange recently that had a timing chain problem ,it was fine when starting from cold ,but after 5 minutes running stalled and wouldnt start until it cooled down.Our mechanic diagnosed a timing fault.He thought the timing chain was stretching .

The end result was the car at 4 years old was only worth £500 ,not the £2000 we would have normally given for it .The car had covered just 20,000 miles.

This may only apply to the newer model ,I don't recall similar problems on the previous one.

As to the daihatsui ,they're such a rare car it's anybodys guess ,how good they are ,dealers are few and parts are likely to be more expensive.

I think if I were spending £1500 on a little runabout,I would probably look for a fiesta ,most small cars use a cvt auto ,fiesta punto micra etc .

They sound buzzy while driving ,but seem to function ok

I would be wary of corsas ,I think they're available as automatics ,however they do seem prone to camshaft failure ,

Good look with your search ,e bay is usually better value than auto trader .

Tony g
Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - madf

Daihatsu used Toyota Yaris engines and gearboxes. If it is the auto box with torque covertor, OK. IF the auto box is MMT.. run away. Even Toyota dealers don't want to know...

Not many fiestas locally and as TeeCee says, the early Sirions are slush box. And if I'm honest, I like the goofy styling

Also it seems that unless I keep below a 1.4 engine the insurance is crazy, that old chestnut.

Edited by daiking on 27/10/2011 at 17:11

Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - Ethan Edwards

Excuse me your saying a four year old Micra with 20K on the clock (presumably in OK condtion FSH etc) was only worth £500? But you'd be selling it on for a heck of a lot more than that right? You'd have an awful lot of wiggle room for fixing any issues and still make a decent profit on re-selling it.

Since the cheapest on automatic Micra on A/T today is £3500 (private sale with 88K).

Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - tony g
Never as simple as just having the car repaired and retailing it.

First thing ref the price ,the car was a 3 door manual.the low mileage ones retail for £3000.
We paid £500 ,We guessed that the car would cost about £1200 to put right.The gross profit would be £1300 .less any over allowance or discount for no px .the final profit would be £8/900.

We were never a hundred percent certain what the problem with the micra was.

We thought the problem was the timing chain , it appeared to be throwing the timing out,had that damaged the valves and the camshaft ? We didn't really know.
Rather than risk an indeterminate repair bill ,then sell the car on ,with the possibility that it could be an inbuilt design fault .We took the car to a local auction on a transporter.

Remember that the car ran ok when cold.

It went through the auction ok and made £1700.

After auction fees transport costs etc we netted ££1450. A profit of £950.

No hassle ,no potential problems with retailing a problem car.

Just hard on who ever bought it from the auction .which is why I rarely buy from auctions.

Tony g
Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - TeeCee

Daihatsus are bulletproof. I advised my mother-in-law to purchase a Daihatsu Cuore auto about 10 years ago to replace her terminally rusted Mini automatic.

She still has it and it never fails, despite living outside, being treated to the most appalling levels of neglect and doing only short, stop/start trips. Still starts first turn, all the 'leccy toys work and not a hint of rust or rattly bits anywhere on it. When she goes, I'm going to make sure it stays in the family 'til the wheels fall off. A bit "tinny" at first impression, but there's a feel of quality and care in the assembly underlying that you only get from something that's actually screwed together in Japan. A decade under its belt and all it's had is servicing (cheap as chips), two tyres and a battery.

Also Daihatsu fitted straightforward slushboxes as autos, none of your complicated stuff here. Nothing to worry about as long as it's been serviced regularly.

As tony g observed; "such a rare car". Seem to be a lot of older ones still around though, don't there? That tells a story in itself......

Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - blindspot
wh
wh

Short but sweet
Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - Avant

"wh...." Perhaps he's saying the Sirion is so light he could blow it away....

I agree - avoid the Micra. A lot of them have the same problem - stop the engine after a short journey and it won't restart.

Another one to avoid is the semi-automatic ("Easytronic") transmission fitted to Corsas - impossibly jerky gearchanges however much you try to avoid the jerks.

There just aren't many small automatics around: even if there aren't many Fiestas in your area, Daiking, there could be even fewer Daihatsus.

Seriously Avant, there are no 5 door cheap fiestas locally yet there are currently 2 sirions and they pop up more often.

I'm covering Manchester so it's not like we're out in the sticks.
Just scouring the net for more cars to look at. The problem I have is not that I can't stretch the budget to buy better but my wife insists on having a crap car for a while before we get something nice in case she prangs it. Also why it must be small. Plenty of C-segement cars but they're too big for her
Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - McP

SWMBO is on her 3rd K11 Micra over the last 7 or 8 years. All manuals.

She drives approx 3K miles a year. The first 96 model had a few problems. The previous and current 98/99 models have been very reliable. CV boots the only problem over the last 4 years.

The refusing to start problem only happens when the car is previously started for less than 5 minutes and then left. At the next attempted start, it over fuels and floods. Can be overcome by removing the fuel pump fuse or foot flat to the floor and it will eventually start.

Not really a problem. Just something to be aware of.

The cross-members (metal panel behind the front bumper) can rot. The part is cheap but around £200 for a garage to replace.

I have no experience of the auto boxes.

Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - Engineer Andy

As a former owner of a K11 micra (96N 1ltr S 3dr), mine was generally fine, except for not liking short start-stop journeys (backing out of the drive to let my parents' car in at the front, etc), especially in cold/damp conditions and from a cold start. It had a tendancy to flood the engine by over-fueling. Most modern cars don't like such treatment - it was just that the K11 Micra suffered worse.

My parents' 96P Ford Fiesta 1.25 never had a problem in that department - it did get through £000s of suspension repairs and (as a result of these problems) lots of tyres, even though it had done 30k miles in 10 years (mine had done 55k miles with only one set of tyres changed).

I think they actually got worse as a car after the supposedly cosmetic change in 1998, but especially near the end of the K11 model's life around 2002, when the build quality apparently suffered.

Mine started to rust at 10 years old, needing a new body section welded by the lower front seat belt mounting point (to pass its MOT). The engine generally (other than the short start-stop problems) was actually very nice, if a little underpowered.

daiking - does your budget stretch to a first-generation (non-French built) Toyota Yaris Auto? If not, you might want to look at its predecessor, the Starlet 1.3 Auto - boring, but they were reliable at the time (a bit more expensive than the equivalent Micra at the time). Whether they'll be in good enough condition now (e.g. rust problems), if you can find one, is another matter - my experience seeing them on the road is that they're likely to have been owned by either careful young women drivers or the elderly (low mileage).

To be honest, very few cars between 10-15 years old are going to be that reliable and cheap to run (if you want to keep it), as most modern small cars are only designed to last 7-10 years - anything over that is a bonus. I would get something that is cheap, meets your needs (space, driving experience, etc) and in as good mechanical condition as possible with a recent MOT - forget about the make - any major repair is likely to cost at least as much as the car's worth, so just run it until it breaks.

Thanks for the further comments but a deal has been done on a 98 Micra 1.3 gx auto.

Seemed sound and no strange noises unlike an otherwise smart Micra I also tried. That one whined like hell. Tried a Sirion as well which was an ok alternative but the Micra seemed more substantial. Shame as the sirion had electric everything and air con. Some sort of boot leak as well as that was wet. Also saw 2 polos but they were not serious contenders.

Fingers crossed it'll last 12 months/3 k miles without too much harm.
Nissan Micra K11 - Micra or Sirion for cheap small auto car? - Ludwig

Thanks for the further comments but a deal has been done on a 98 Micra 1.3 gx auto.

I've got one of those... well, a 99 1.3 GX Auto. I love it! A cracking car!

Happy motoring hombre!