What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Next Car Advice/Recommendation... - Bradbury Robinson

Afternoon all.

Nice little forum here with some interesting debate going on and a lot of sense spoken, I’ve spent a few hours reading through a few pages of previous posts to get a feel for the place and was now looking for some advice and recommendations for my next car.

Probably best if I give a bit of background first to where I am today.

About eight years ago I had a 2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6 VTR which was abruptly written off at a set of traffic lights. As a result of this I went totally safety conscious for the next car and got a 1999 Volvo S40 1.8 XS. At the time I was doing a commute of about 20 miles a day but some time later, due to a change in job, this doubled to 40 miles a day. I liked the size and comfort of the Volvo but, due to the petrol costs and a few other issues, the costs were creeping up and I looked for something more economical. After having a look at what was available in the price range I had in mind I went for a 2003 MGZR 2.0 TD, this served me well for commuting up and down the motorway and is what I currently have now. The car was bought from an MG fanatic and I’ve looked after it mechanically and always paid the money as and when required for work and maintenance. This is possibly the one thing holding me back a little.

Back to present day and my commute has dropped again to 12 miles a day and, although not totally needed, I’d like to get something with a bit more room and four/five doors as three doors is sometimes a bit of an annoyance. Reading some comments on here my mileage probably drops me back into the petrol engine bracket again (I’m not even sure I should really have been in the diesel bracket!) and have no problem if this is the case. If you can name it then I’ve probably looked at it, Volvo S40/S60, Ford Focus/Mondeo, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW 3/5, Seat, Honda, Toyota anything in the mid/large hatchback/saloon category I have considered!

The last two I was looking at were a Mercedes C Class with 150k and a Lexus IS200 S with 80k, both for around £3,000.

I suppose I’m looking for a bit of confirmation of my thinking if anything along with some recommendations for suitable cars in the £3000-£3500 price range.

If you’ve read this far then good work and thanks for any advice offered!

BR

I should just add that I'm mid-thirties now so no longer a 'boy racer', if I ever was! It's function over form for me, comfort over style, practicality over.....something that isn't practical!

I also like the look of these All Season tyres that are discussed on here a bit, I may look into them.

Next Car Advice/Recommendation... - oldtoffee

It's difficult when you have a car that has served you well and that you've looked after; it's often a better bet than getting rid and taking a chance with something relatively unknown to you.

Of the cars you've mentioned a Mondeo would give you the most car for the money, relatively cheap to maintain, be a very decent drive and you'd have lots to choose from at moderate mileages. Lexus and Merc would mean older and higher mileage with potential for bigger bills but bags of badge appeal. A well maintained Lexus or a 2.0 manual, petrol Mondeo with all the trim and toys would be my shortlist.

Definitely give some serious thought to using all season or winter tyres for the extra grip, traction and safety.

Edited by oldtoffee on 24/10/2011 at 22:22

That's the exact logic I have in my head when looking at cars and, I think, one of the reasons why it's so hard to decide! You know you should go for the Ford but your heart wants something a bit more exclusive like the Mercedes, but would you feel the same come service time?!

I had looked at the Focus and Mondeo previously, like the 'older' newer model (sorry don't know what the MK is!) but would look at something Ghia and upwards if this was the case.

BR

'It's difficult when you have a car that has served you well and that you've looked after; it's often a better bet than getting rid and taking a chance with something relatively unknown to you.'

Exactly the point. If only I could find a way to get two extra doors on the MG!

BR

'Definitely give some serious thought to using all season or winter tyres for the extra grip, traction and safety. '

I suspect that with the low mileage I am now doing in my car that the all-season ones would be more practical than specific winter tyres and switching them every six months.

Next Car Advice/Recommendation... - Avant

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I agree you seem to be on the right lines: I wouldn't be tempted by a high-mileage 'premium brand' like BMW or Mercedes at the price level you're looking at.

A Mondeo (much better to drive than a Vauxhall Vectra) should be a good bet, and there wikll be lots to choose from. Also think about a Skoda Octavia (you'll get a newer one for your money than a VW or Audi) and a Volvo S40 or S60. You can get 1.6 petrol engines for all of these, but if you want a bit of zing you'll have to go to 1.8 or 2.0 litres.

Next Car Advice/Recommendation... - jamie745

Welcome to the forum, im guessing i was omitted from the 'lot of sense spoken' segment of the original post :P

Right. Cars. I am one of Ford's biggest fans so we have to start with the Mondeo. In your price range you can get an awful lot of car for it and it'll be newer, lower mileage and a better deal than any 'premium' name like Mercedes or BMW and at that price range you're looking at the mk3 which is - even compared to the new model - a fantastic car. Just seen a lovely looking 2.0 Ghia Auto on an 05 reg on AT for £3495 although there are more economical models but you should shop around with the Mondeo as theres always another one not far away.

There is one car in this class you completely forgot which is the Mazda 6 which is a surprisingly good car, the shame is hardly anybody ever finds out because they skip over it but a big 5 door hatchback, nice petrol engines, well put together and drives better than the Vauxhall norm. Stick to the petrols - avoid the diesels at all costs - and you can get a lot of car for not much money.

If you wanted to go a bit more upmarket you could consider one of what i own - Jaguar S-Type. Mine is the 3.0litre SE on a 56 plate but you're probably looking nearer 01-04 reg on your sort of budget. Its a lovely car and ive had no problems with mine (post facelift model) but the RWD layout eats into the boot space which is pretty shallow and the sloping roof does make journies in the rear for anyone over 6ft a bit uncomfortable. Beware of £460 VED on some models depending on their age (some fall into Band K despite having a co2 rating of band M) and if you were interested make sure you shop around for a good one with a full service history.

Just thought i'd give my own car some selfless promotion there :)

It amazes me some of the cars you can get for hardly any money on AT because they have the gas-guzzling engines in them. Jaguars and BMWs galore if you didn't have any running-costs to worry about but they put you in the highest brackets for every ongoing costs and that's the problem.

Do you have a link to the Mondeo to give me some idea? I will also look at the Mazda 6 as, although I know of them and have been in one often, I probably fall into the category of people you mention.

BR

The monumental fuel tax has led to certain cars being 'worthless' and their price plummets meaning you can get a lot of car for precious little money if you're comfortable with the day to day costs. The other side of the coin is economical cheap to run cars hold their value very well and you have to own it for so long for it to 'pay for itself' and ends up a very expensive way of saving money.

In this price range for a big five door car in good condition, pretty new with low mileage the chances are its running costs will at least be mid-range. You could look at diesels but on your mileage it may not be worth it and you'll be looking at slightly older or higher mileage cars, but they wont have a DPF so shouldnt have any trouble with short commutes but you'll get a better deal on a petrol model.

That Mondeo i mentioned isnt there anymore but heres a similar one (i use wimbledons postcode as i dont know where any of you live ha!)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20113341041...p

What about a nice Focus Ghia?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20114142078...p

It bugs me when original owners buy the Ghia but then skimp on the stereo and dont go for the Sony but no matter! Official mpg 42 but expect more like 35 in short commute day to day driving.

Next Car Advice/Recommendation... - Bobbin Threadbare
There is one car in this class you completely forgot which is the Mazda 6 which is a surprisingly good car, the shame is hardly anybody ever finds out because they skip over it but a big 5 door hatchback, nice petrol engines, well put together and drives better than the Vauxhall norm. Stick to the petrols - avoid the diesels at all costs - and you can get a lot of car for not much money.

Thank you Jamie for the introduction..! I absolutely love my petrol Mazda 6. Comfy, cheap insurance, can fit an entire bed/sofa in it if you fold the seats down, decent looking car, middling tax and I get decent mpg out of it as well. Also it's got a BOSE stereo system; I thank the previous owner evey time I drive it for choosing that option. Its handling is like that of a much smaller hatchback; it's really surprised me with it's agility. It's coped admirably in snow as well. It cost me just under the £4k mark for a 2005 plate in July 2010 and I've stuck over 20k miles on it since then.

Also hello and welcome, Bradbury :-))

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 25/10/2011 at 17:32

Thank you Jamie for the introduction..! I absolutely love my petrol Mazda 6. Comfy, cheap insurance, can fit an entire bed/sofa in it if you fold the seats down, decent looking car, middling tax and I get decent mpg out of it as well. Also it's got a BOSE stereo system; I thank the previous owner evey time I drive it for choosing that option. Its handling is like that of a much smaller hatchback; it's really surprised me with it's agility. It's coped admirably in snow as well. It cost me just under the £4k mark for a 2005 plate in July 2010 and I've stuck over 20k miles on it since then.

There does seem to be a good few Mazda 6 around at decent prices. I think a big hatchback could be the way to go for myself, rather than a saloon. I like to have the capability to lug some stuff around when I need to, the MG isn't too bad when you drop the seats but a saloon may be restrictive.

From your picks I would probably prefer the Volvo, then Skoda, the Ford.

The only issue I have with the Skoda is the amount of them that are used as taxis, although a good thing in itself as clearly they are reliable it does make them extremely common on the road. Vauxhalls I had always dismissed as I don't really like the styling inside or out.

BR

Next Car Advice/Recommendation... - brignac

There's one one car to go for - the Toyota Avensis. Comfortable, safe, reliable, cheap to run, very well built (in Britain) cheap to insure - need I go on...

They tend to be slightly more to buy, but worth it

Next Car Advice/Recommendation... - BenG

Dare I suggest an MG ZS or 45 turbodiesel? Old tech diesel without current reliability issues (DPF, fancy injectors) that should go on for a while. Only problem will be finding a good one with decent miles.

A 5-door Focus hatch is surprisingly spacious, drives well and the 2.0 petrol in the Mk 2 should be able to return 40mpg in mixed driving. Cheap parts and a Ghia or Titanium could be had for the money.

Also perhaps a Skoda Octavia Mk 1 1.9 TDI. Reliable engine, huge boot and rated highly by their owners. Available with leather and toys in Laurin & Klement trim.

I did look at the MG ZS but having already owned the ZR for around three years I think I'd like to look at other makes for the next. The ZS would seem like I was driving the same car as before just slightly elongated!

There's one one car to go for - the Toyota Avensis. Comfortable, safe, reliable, cheap to run, very well built (in Britain) cheap to insure - need I go on...

They tend to be slightly more to buy, but worth i

Ex-boss used to drive one of these, put me off forever!

At a hardly uncommon 6ft i found the Avensis a bit annoying as the seat doesnt go back far enough and it felt quite cramped inside.

Next Car Advice/Recommendation... - Buster Cambelt

Go crazy, try a Subaru, but I'll warn you they are very addictive.

Of what's been recommended Mazda seems the best mainstream idea.

If you must go for a Skoda make sure you have a dealer nearby and that he knows the meaning of 'customer service'.

Somebody once said to me that everybody in their life buys that fast car that they knew made no sense at the time. I've yet to have mine so maybe the Subaru should make the shortlist! ;)

Next Car Advice/Recommendation... - oldtoffee

>>>maybe the Subaru should make the shortlist!

Don't whatever you do check out AT and look for 3 litre Legacys within or close to your budget. Luckily you sound a sensible sort of chap who would soon realise that despite the 240bhp, terrific all wheel drive, five doors and legendary reliability any car with a £400 VED and 25mpg surely couldn't be worth it. Could it?

>>>maybe the Subaru should make the shortlist!

Don't whatever you do check out AT and look for 3 litre Legacys within or close to your budget. Luckily you sound a sensible sort of chap who would soon realise that despite the 240bhp, terrific all wheel drive, five doors and legendary reliability any car with a £400 VED and 25mpg surely couldn't be worth it. Could it?

Never mind the cost , I'd probably have no license within a month!

Never mind the cost , I'd probably have no license within a month!

I've found how the S-Type can easily do 130 - i mean 70 - without you really noticing to be a severe hazard to the driving licence.

Thank god for cruise control!