What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 petrol year 2000 - OSR Stub Axle - name of road

My brakes felt spongy, so took to my local Ford garage for a diagnosis. They removed the rear wheels and drums stating the cylinders were leaking. They phoned me to say that I also need to replace the stub axle because when they took the nut off they found it was cross threaded and cannot be put back on.

I thought that the recommended way of removing the rear drum on a focus, to get at the brake mechanism, was to remove the 4 bolts which hold the sub axle on the backing plate, thereby saving undo/redo the hub nut, and damaging the bearing, is this correct and would I have any comback on the garage for not following this procedure?

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 petrol year 2000 - OSR Stub Axle - mikej

I thought that the recommended way of removing the rear drum on a focus, to get at the brake mechanism, was to remove the 4 bolts which hold the sub axle on the backing plate, thereby saving undo/redo the hub nut, and damaging the bearing, is this correct and would I have any comback on the garage for not following this procedure?

That's certainly what the Haynes manual recommends, so it's the best option for a DIYer (I did this many times on my old Focus) but I'm not sure what the standard procedure would be at a Ford garage.

In some ways, if the hub nut *was* cross-threaded, then I guess it would have had to be sorted at some stage in the future anyway.