What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 5dr hatch 2006 '56' reg - Roof rail fixing points - please help! - wrightstuff

Hi, I have just purchased a new roof box complete with rails and all fixings to fit this specific vehicle. On removing the 4 thin plastic strips covering the fixing points on the car it appears there are no tapped holes (as should be the case according to the roof rail manufacturer?) I have just asked a friend who has the same car in case Ford had missed drilling mine but he says his is the same? Surely you don't have to drill these yourself? If so will the car then leak water in? Any help would be greatly appreciated as going on hol in a few days!

Edited by wrightstuff on 07/08/2011 at 15:31

Ford Focus 5dr hatch 2006 '56' reg - Roof rail fixing points - please help! - jc2

The holes are there-filled with mastic and sprayed over.

Ford Focus 5dr hatch 2006 '56' reg - Roof rail fixing points - please help! - wrightstuff

The holes are there-filled with mastic and sprayed over.

Thank you, Yes I managed to work that out this afternoon and carefully cut out a small hole to access.

Does anyone know whether there are any water ingress issues after cutting out these holes? I can see a steel face below the tapped hole but don't know where it goes? Thanks.

Ford Focus 5dr hatch 2006 '56' reg - Roof rail fixing points - please help! - Peter D

I would insert the bolts with sealing compound on the mating surfaces. Silicone gasket sealer would be the best way forward. Regards Peter

I would insert the bolts with sealing compound on the mating surfaces. Silicone gasket sealer would be the best way forward. Regards Peter

I can reseal the screws on removing the fixpoint feet etc, but would have hope this isn't necessary. Most people remove the rails and fixing points each time they return from holiday surely? It's going to be a bind if I have to try and seal the holes several times a year!

Maybe I should ask Ford if these holes need to be sealed at all times and if will this cause a leak problem into the car.

Ford Focus 5dr hatch 2006 '56' reg - Roof rail fixing points - please help! - TeeCee

Hmm, roof rails are usually left in place permanently once fitted, with just the crossbars being removed when not in use.

If you wanted something temporary, you'd probably have been better off getting an aftermarket clip-on roofrack..

Ford Focus 5dr hatch 2006 '56' reg - Roof rail fixing points - please help! - Chris M

I guess you are thinking of roof rails that run front to back TeeCee, what the OP has is the cross bars on which you fix your roofbox/cycle carrier/whatever. You would usually only have these installed when you are likely to be using them.

I have a CMax which uses the same system and can assure the OP that there is no need to seal the holes when not in use. I've never noticed any water in the holes when not in use, so the trim covers must do a reasonable job. When the bars are fitted, the holes are obviously blocked, so any water drains along the channel. Even if water did enter, the holes are blind, so water doesn't end up making the roof lining damp.

If your c-max is the same as my focus then hopefully all will be ok. I'd be surprised if those holes led through to the car as even with the screws in place water would still work it's way through the screw itself. Thanks for your help.

Not sure that most people just remove the roof bars and leave the fixing points in place? The bracket are fairly sharp without the bars on and look ugly?

Anyway thanks all for the help!

Ford Focus 5dr hatch 2006 '56' reg - Roof rail fixing points - please help! - TeeCee

Right you are! Roof bars rather than roof rails ;-)

Seems odd to me to have such an invasive mounting system on a temporary mount intended for relatively ad-hoc use though....

Ford Focus 5dr hatch 2006 '56' reg - Roof rail fixing points - please help! - Chris M

Agree with you TeeCee - in my opinion it's a cheap nasty way of holding roof bars on. The best system I had was that on the Vectra B - over centre catches that located in holes behind the door rubbers. No locks required either as the doors had to be open to operate the catches. Simple, but effective.