What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord 2004 - front discs replacement - willyb

Hi looking for help.

Just replaced the front discs on the car, which was pretty straightforward and something I've done often on other cars.

Now gradually bedding in the brakes, but the pedal now feels spongey. Can't understand this since I never opened up the hydraulics : all i did was open the reservoir top and push back the piston on each wheel.

Any thoughts ?

thanks

willyb

Honda Accord 2004 - front discs replacement - madf

Rusty pistons tearing rubber seals when you pushed them back in and letting air in.

Bleed them...

Did you crack open the bleed valves when you pushed back in the pistons? If not, you may have damaged the master cylinder seals.. same cause..

Thanks for that madf. I usually open the bleed screws but as they didn't look to hot I thought I'd leave them alone. Looks like I need to open them now. Lets hope the MC isn't damaged!

Thanks

willyb

Honda Accord 2004 - front discs replacement - gordonbennet

Can take around 200 miles to fully bed new pads and discs in, you did put new pads on too i assume, no offence but some don't.

Thanks.

I didn't actually although I am well aware this is recommended. Thing is the existing pads were in good nick with plenty life left and my intention was to very slowly bed them in before I sell the car in a couple of weeks. Why would this give the pedal feel I experience?

willyb

Honda Accord 2004 - front discs replacement - gordonbennet

Ah you didn't change the pads, that's why it's taking so long to bed in then.

The pads will have worn with grooves in them, possibly quite a sizeable extra width at the edge where rust makes the old disc thinner, and the inside edge possibly thinner at the dge of disc wear.

You have to wear through this extra meat with effectively maybe only 15 to 50% of braking surface in contact with the new disc till it gradually wears and you get full contact.

Could be a thousand miles or more if the ridges are bad, the softeness you feel is effectively fade as the small contact area of the pad is getting very hot during braking.

You should really put new pads in whenever you change discs.

If you don't want to buy new pads, you could try rubbing all odd wear away on coa-rse sandpaper laid flat on a smooth surface, meself i'd nip down to a good motor factor and get quality make new pads.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/07/2011 at 14:49

Thanks for all replies- this is the first time I havn't replaced the discs/ pads as a set and it'll be the last.