What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford puma - Short journeys - j12

Until I retired two years ago, I had a round journey to work of some 90 miles a day. Now I don't go anywhere much. I wanted to change my car. I could have gone for something elderley, but I thought I'd have a bit of fun and got a Ford Puma. I know this may not have been the most sensible thing to do, but I did it anyway. As I read the Honest John column every week, I know that he doesn't like us boring people who only do little journeys. My question is, how best to drive this lovely car? A quick whack up the motorway once a week? Extra servicing? Winnie the Puma deserves to be well treated.

ford puma - Short journeys - RT

As you're retired, go for an enthusiastic drive once a week - a gentle "Italian tune-up" is good for every car.

Edited by RT on 28/06/2011 at 13:24

ford puma - Short journeys - Bobbin Threadbare

Get yourself up to Cumbria! I had a lot of fun in my old Focus on the Kirkstone pass and the A590 ;-)

Or Buttertubs Pass in Yorkshire. If you want a motorway, the M58 is always empty :-))

ford puma - Short journeys - RT

Or A686 Penrith - Alston - Haydon Bridge - it's voted (somewhere) as one of the top 10 drives in the world.

ford puma - Short journeys - Bobbin Threadbare

Or A686 Penrith - Alston - Haydon Bridge - it's voted (somewhere) as one of the top 10 drives in the world.

Yes - that one is fun too!

ford puma - Short journeys - WellKnownSid

It's a fantastic car. Had mine from new - the 1.7 - in '97 and ran it for 60,000 miles, chopping it in for a somewhat more family-orientated new shape C class in 2001 when the kids came along.

Tracking can be a bit funny on these - if you didn't keep an eye on things, then the front tyres could get scrubbed.

I think there is the heater valve thingy that has a tendency to go wrong in old age, resulting in loss of water / overheating. Probably worth a knowledgeable indie taking a look for common problems. The good news is it's genetically a Fiesta, so should be easy to look after well.

If you have the 1.7 - then make sure you have a mechanic that knows them. Overbored to 1700cc with nikasil linings by Yamaha and an oil powered VCT system make for expensive problems if the servicing isn't up to scratch especially things like cam belt. Needs a specific oil grade and a few additional checks come service time to be sure.

The nikasil linings mean that the bores won't like short journeys from cold... but the correct grade of oil is probably the biggest factor. Don't be taking it to Kwik Fit for a cheap oil change!

ford puma - Short journeys - Pizza man

make sure it's fully warmed up then give it a quick blast on the motorway and it should be fine, as said above it's just a rebodied Fiesta so you shouldn't have too many troubles.