What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen xsara 1998 1.4 - Scary Steering Problem - crynshame

My old nieghbour`s xsara has devolped a strange steering problem I have never come across.

Driving in a straight line the car will suddenly turn to the right or left even though the steering wheel is central. After correcting the direction it continues to drive straight and then it will occur again.Very Scary. Anyone experienced this fault?

Citroen xsara 1998 1.4 - Scary Steering Problem - injection doc

that needs checking out sooner rather than later, it could have faulty front or rear suspension, suspect it may be a lower arm bush collapsed or worn front tyres

Citroen xsara 1998 1.4 - Scary Steering Problem - crynshame

My initial thoughts were the rear sub-frame. I have told him to take it to the garage where they can inspect the problem on the ramp. Have checked for worn joints and bushes all ok on the front, 2 new tyres on the front 3 week ago.

Citroen xsara 1998 1.4 - Scary Steering Problem - Bedhead

More than likely the rubber mounts for the rear subframe, my 306 would do that all the time, both rear mouts were broken in two and the fromts were nearly as bad! Only about 30 quid for the set.