What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 1999 1.8TD Brake Travel Problem - Weird - BrixKev

Hi

I hope that someone reading this can help out here - I'm lost.

Step son currently has his mondeo on the driveway, and has replaced front discs and pads. Changed them properly as far as I can tell - pressure bled etc.

With the front end on stands, the wheels off and the engine on, the brake travel is fine.

Put the wheels on, engine running, all is fine.

Put the car back down on the deck, and pedal travels an alarming distance, appears to be a couple of inches away from end of travel. Pumping the brakes bring it back to normal. If the accelerator is blipped, either driving or sitting at neutral, the brake pedal drops drastically in terms of where the brake point is. Servo has been tested as per the suggested Haynes manual method i.e. cvaccum is fine. No fluid leaks can be found. It appears to happen only when on the ground. Can anyone help?

Common sense tells me that if the problem is there only when the car is on the ground then the flexi hose is the problem, but cannot find anything wrong at all.

Thanks in advance.

OK...42 minutes without a reply...I'm being impatient aren't I !

Had a quick go in the car up and down the drive. Brakes work. At standstill and keeping pressure on the brake pedal, it does seems to very slowly drop down (I'm sure its not my imagination). Does this sound like the master cylinder?

Thanks!

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 1999 1.8TD Brake Travel Problem - Weird - ddr

If problem only happens when car is on its wheels, would suggest something wrong with the routing of the hoses perhaps. When the suspension compresses, something goes wrong with the hoses?

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 1999 1.8TD Brake Travel Problem - Weird - Peter.N.

That's an odd one, have you actually tried driving it, does it still do it?

hi have changed the master cylinder bled the whole system with over 5lltrs of fluid and still have the same problem took it for a drive yesterday and everytime i need to brake i have to push the pedal 3 or 4 times before i get any sort of braking. the servo works as it should the rear pistons are working the front calipers are working there are no leaks anywhere to be found and i have just put a brand new master cylinder. any suggestions welcome im at the end of my tether with this 1

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 1999 1.8TD Brake Travel Problem - Weird - freman

Nothing really constructive to offer,but would lowering one wheel to the ground at atime halve the search area ?

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 1999 1.8TD Brake Travel Problem - Weird - injection doc

was the pedal hard when in the air because the engine wasnt running ?

Is it an est with pressure reducing valve at the rear ? I dont remeber the 1.8 having calipers at the rear but if it has, they need to be turned upside down to bleed other wise you loose the pedal !

Are the front wheel beaings ok ? if they are slack when you srop the car down the discs will tilt retracting the pads and will take 2-3 pumps to bring the pedal bacK !

Ford Mondeo - Mondeo 1999 1.8TD Brake Travel Problem - Weird - Collos25
If every component is ok as you say then you still have air in the system.