What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
FORD FOCUS ESTATE 1.8 PETROL, 2005 BUT MANUF 2004 - FOCUS UNDERBODY RUST - rm1849

Hello, my Focus just passed its MOT but with a note to the effect that it is rusted on the underside. What would be the best treatment for this as I intend to keep the car for several years. Many thanks. Robert

FORD FOCUS ESTATE 1.8 PETROL, 2005 BUT MANUF 2004 - FOCUS UNDERBODY RUST - gordonbennet

Presumably this car is new to you. or you'd have been giving the underside a good and thorough clean every spring to get all the accumulated salt out...only pulling your leg cos there's barely a handful of us that still do this....interesting conversation with my Romanian mate who reckons we are still very rich seeing how people here buy new cars and can afford to neglect them and throw them away in 3 or 4 years, he has a point.

So, new regime for you, annual underbody clean off, and keep the underbody rinsed off whenever you wash the car during the winter. Then full inspection to see for yourself what is and isn't corroded and if the car is worth the work, if it's that bad it may not be worth the following.

Thorough wire brushing of all rust, light sandpapering of any corroded brake pipes to check are they good enough to save, then thorough waxoyling of the underside, there are some professional companies that will do this for you, but it's not cheap. DIY is very cheap but is the most filthy job you could ever imagine.

Edit....brake pipes either coat in heavy waxoyl or grease, avoiding flexibles if grease.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/05/2011 at 21:58

FORD FOCUS ESTATE 1.8 PETROL, 2005 BUT MANUF 2004 - FOCUS UNDERBODY RUST - Vitesse6

echo the above but you could paint any rusted metal with POR15 - it's a bit like hammerite but more flexible so doesn't crack when stressed. The put the waxoyl on top of that.

Would disagree with it being the most filthy job you can imagine - it's much worse than that and the only way to get dried POR15 off your skin is just to wait until you shed those particular skin flakes!