Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - euro driver

I'm looking for a good motorway cruiser estate for £15k.

The model I'm looking at for the moment is the E-Class spec of

2006+ facelift

Avantgarde

Diesel auto 220 or 280

The priority is comfort, cruise control, climate control, xenon lamps.

The other models I thought to compare with are 5 series and A6.

What else is worth looking at ?

Is it worth looking into the 5 or A6 or is the E-class king for comfort.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - injection doc

I had a 59 Merc E class 250 Avantgarde ! it was the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven ! The seats were so hard that 2.5 hrs of driving and your backside would be numb . I took a work friend one day and he suffered just the same around the 2 hr mark ! the seats were bad bad bad. The reliability was bad bad bad, the fuel consumption was poor and the Zenon's with the auto dip were dangerous in the dark ! if you were driving down a dark lane swiftly and an outside lamp was on, on a house the headlamps would dip ! on their own and you would loose the road. The auto box had a mind of its own.

The only thing I was suprised at was what others thought ! ( like wow a merc ) so its a badge thing.

I have had A4's and A6's and found them really good for long miles in a day. BM's the seats were again a bit flat and hard.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - daveyjp

I've just changed from the most comfortable car I've ever owned - X type 2.2d auto estate. 4 hour trips went by in a breeze. Car went because I no longer do 4 hour trips and it's not a pootling round town car, which is what I do now.

No xenons on mine, but it had everything else you require, plus lots of other gadgets and gizmos including satnav if you go for SE spec.

30 mpg round town, mid 40s at sensible motorway speeds.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - injection doc

I too had a 2.2d X type Jag. fantstic car for cruising on the motorway 70 mph about 1700 rpm in 6th. It was one of the most relaxed and smooth diesel engines I have ever come across with loads of grunt too.Didnt have loads of room in the rear for passengers but did eat the miles. Great on trips to teh south of France and Spain.

I used to get 40+ local and 50+ on a motorway run but mine was manual. The auto is a much better car and the auto suits the Jag but the engine is detuned for the auto so not so much grunt

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - Westpig

I do the occasional overnight non stop 500 mile trips in our family 2 litre diesel manual X Type estate.

Cannot fault the comfort of it, inc the seats...and i'm at an age where i'm beginning to get lower back pain, when sitting on hard seats e.g. at a meeting at work (now take an orthapaedic cushion in).

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - Mike H

I'm sure there are loads of cars that will do the job, but we have spent the last 4 years driving to and from Austria 4-5 times a year in our Saab 9-5 automatic estate, and the two years before that driving to & from Swansea, a round trip for us of 400 miles, up to 9 times per year (son at uni!). It has everything on your "must have" list and more, including ventilated leather seats for those hot days! We have the Aero version, which is admittedly the most powerful in the range, but other options are available including a diesel which can be simply upgraded if you need more urge. You'd get a more recent model than 2006 for your money.

I also drive to Switzerland a lot and the Merc was the worst car ever ! I used to cover 16000 miles a month, yes 4000 miles a week average! and it was dreadfull !

I suggest if you have made your mind up that you hire one first and try driving 500 miles plus non stop. The seat squabs are low to the floor so your legs lay almost flat ! and the lumber support wasnt brilliant iether , my lower back used to burn after 3-4 hrs.

For me an Audi A6 est for doing the trips you list would be better. I have also had three Passats 2.0TDi's 1 saloon highline and 2 sport estates and for motorway miles they were brilliant. more room than the x-types for the passengers

You can get ventilated front leather seats even in a Ford mondeo ! its nothing unique to a Merc, In fact the AC tends to be better in the ford so you dont need them.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - euro driver

Many have mentioned long drives across Europe.

This is exactly what I need to do.

I contract over Europe mainly Germany, Netherlands, Austria and could do 600+ miles in a day.

I contract over Europe mainly Germany, Netherlands, Austria and could do 600+ miles in a day.

In that case, you need something with a good dealer network in that area (just in case), which would indicate perhaps a member of the VW family. Skoda Superb?

In that case, you need something with a good dealer network in that area (just in case), which would indicate perhaps a member of the VW family. Skoda Superb?

I've already had a test drive in the new Superb and was considering the 170ps DSG Elegance model which was all good well and may still consider this.

The only issue is that I would like the DSG box which means new / nearly new and hence depreciation loss.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - Collos25

I have just driven from eBonn to Dresden in new c class which was absolutely superb my return journy was in a neew Mondeo combi this was even better,the merc was a pretty basic model whereas the Ford was top of the range but was a lovely car.

Was this with the Powershift box?

Also considered this nearly new but the Skoda felt more like an exective estate from the inside.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - Collos25

No it was just a manual 6 speed.

Perhaps this is a silly question, but if the main thing you want it for is motorways, do you really need an auto box?

"but if the main thing you want it for is motorways, do you really need an auto box?"

you do if you get stuck in traffic ! especially on the M25 !

Most Auto boxes except the Merc one with horrid delays inbuilt ! are terrific these days and are just so sorted. The DSG box in the VW's was brilliant on motorways, just parking with reverse where it needs revs was a little carp! My Autobox on my Freelander 2 is brill on motorways and drops into 6th lock up and cruises all day on an Autoroute. 2200rpm at 85 just brilliant, better than a manual any day

Because many times I've found myself in stop-start pump the clutch delays on the Autobahns

Also I think they're easier on the engines and I could be looking upto 100k on the clock.

Edited by euro driver on 16/03/2011 at 16:01

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - captain chaos

Volvo

Orthopaedically designed seats so you don't need to go out and buy a cushion, massage beads or anything else

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - Pizza man

Volvo V70 D5?

S80 D5 nice car but noisey engine on very long motorway trips ! the continual clatter from the tiny D5 engine on Autoroutes for hour after hour really does get the better of you ! its about the only downside of a D5

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - barney100

I just had a new E class on loan while they fixed my car. First few miles was q uncomfortable then I discovered all the adjustments to be made in the driving position. From then on I was fine. This was a blue efficiency model and did starship miles on a tank of diesel. i must say I like the Jaguars too but depreciation would tip me towards the E-class. Cruise control is excellent, effortless cruising on the M ways and some power when you needed to get past something. Some time spent studying the owners manual and in my opinion the E-class is brilliant. One snag.....I can't afford a new one.

bet you didnt do 6-8 hrs in the saddle the ? non stop. Mine was "blue efficency" and I think it stands for unreliability.I used to get 27-33 mpg hardly starship mileage

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Motorway Cruiser E-Class or what else? - prm72

I have a 57 reg, E class 280cdi Sport and find the seats FAR more comfortable than my previous Volvo S60, the Volvo was lovely but i do 120 mls a day and my back ached, but not in the sport seats of the Merc. I don't know what the new E class seats are like but the OP will be getting the W211 model with his budget and not a W212, so as others have said try driving one, i personally love mine for m/way work and go for the v6 not the 4 pot they are so much smoother.

The people who travel the most and fastest on autobahns are the Germans and the most common cars that are used that supply the required features are Mercedes,BMW and Audi most others are also rans(I am using a Peugeot 407 combi 1.6hdi).The UK you could use a rickshaw its like driving in an eternal traffic jam any car would suffice it just has to be comfortable.As far as the Octavia is concerned Autobild this week has the complete new Skoda range featured some nice looking cars.