What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo Mk3 1.8 Excessive oil useage - Superdan6269

Hi All, this is the first time ive posted on the site so I hope someone out there can help.

Ive got a 2002 Mk3 1.8 petrol Mondeo with 137k on the clock. Now it has used about 3 litres of oil in the past month since I topped it right up and now the dipstick doesnt even register.

This has been an issue for the past few years but it continually passes the emmisions test on the MOT - It was tested today and emmisions passed again but failed on antiroll bar. I put a new exhaust on it 2 years ago but the rear box has rotted internally again due to the oil so possibly being chucked thro there. There is no smoke when running unless its a cold day - could be moisture in exhaust. I changed the air filter and plugs today - I put new plugs in about 45k ago so they where due - however no real signs of oil on them just carbon build up and also I shone LED tourch down plug holes and tops of pistons just carbonised a bit.

There are no oil leaks !!!!

Can anyone help shine some light on this - is it the valve stem seals or is there a simple answer to my problem i.e breather hose blocked ???

Any suggestions more than welcolme

Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo Mk3 1.8 Excessive oil useage - Collos25

If its not leaking then the only place it can go is up the exhaust pipe so you have worn rings or valve seals I think if its passed the emissions test of the mot then you have been extremely lucky.The cure is either an engine rebuild or a cylinder head rebuild.

Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo Mk3 1.8 Excessive oil useage - Superdan6269

Thanks for that Andy - I have suspected the valve stem seals which hopefully will be the better of the two evils I think !!!

Ford Mondeo - Ford Mondeo Mk3 1.8 Excessive oil useage - Big John

Just in case double check that oil breather + pipes are clear first as this can blow oil past the valve stem seals. I had the same problem with my Skoda Octavia, part of the breather pipes contained within/through its air filter were blocked with oil mayonaise. My valve stem seals were (and still are) worn but oil consumption dramatically improved.

If the extra oil consumption was through major engine wear especially via bores you should fail an MOT.