What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - emma1981

Hi there, I bought a car last Tuesday it is a N Reg honda prelude, there was 2 ads on the internet and both ads said this car had a V-Tech engine. I went to look at the car which wasa good 70 miles away from my house. I liked the car and was happy with the condition of it so i purchased it for £700 and drove it home. On friday i took it to my frined who is a mechanic to make sure it was all save and road worthy and he told me that the engine was not a v-tech engine at all, and is just a 2.2i. If i had known this i would not of even gone to see the car.

I contacted the Man i bought the car off saying I owuld like to bring the car back as It is not the car i thought i was buying and he is just putting me off. Can i take him to a small claims court to get my money back. I do not want the car as it is not the car I had saved my hard earned cash for. I feel totally ripped off i have since found a seller that has the exact car I want which i thought I was buying with this car. But can not purchase it till I get my money back.

Do I legally have a leg to stand on. I have both adverts that states it is a 2.2i V-Tech.

Thanks

Emma

Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - daveyjp
If it's a trader you have been misled and the goods are not as described so you can get try and get your cash back. Sale of Goods Act applies.

If it's a private sale "caveat emptor" applies - it is down to the buyer to undertake the necessary checks before parting with cash.

Selling it on may be easier than trying to get your cash back.

It was a private sale, i spoke to consumer rights and they said i might be able to under the mis-discription act.... ?????????????

Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - tanvir

I'd just sell it on. Probably less hassle

I edo know what your saying about selling it on but it is such a pain and I don't see why I should it was not me mi selling something. Apparetly these cars are very hard to sell and take a while... I just want to know if legally I can do anything or not..

Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - 1066
the only thing you can do is small claims court but a lot of hassle for you and in a private sale you should have checked the car over more thouroughly
Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - 832ark

Is it a UK car or an import? There were no 2.2 non-vtec UK cars. Do you have a phot of the engine bay or the engine number off the reg doc?

Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - Lygonos

In the UK there were 2.2 Vtec, and 2.0 and 2.3 non-Vtec engines.

To my knowledge all Vtec engines have a great big "VTEC" written on the top of the engines.

What engine size is on the vehicle logbook in cc ?

Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - Sofa Spud

I'd also be questioning what comes next - after all, if the car's called a Prelude, it must mean that there's something to follow. I'd get in touch with Honda just in case !!!

Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - Collos25

I would have thought a car that old and at such a cheap price the important factors are its condition and how it drives not whether its its got a v tech engine .

If you look under the bonnet you should see this:

tinyurl.com/emmas-vtech
Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - dadbif
Great engine!

I would have thought a car that old and at such a cheap price the important factors are its condition and how it drives not whether its its got a v tech engine .

I would've thought that if you're looking for a VTEC Prelude then its one of the most important factors!

Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - LucyBC
You have almost no legal rights if it was indeed a private sale. If it had been a trader you would have a case to reject on the basis of misdescription.

The law is such at the moment that anyone buying a car for is strongly advised to take the legal protection afforded from buying form a dealer.
Honda Prelude - Legal rights on misdiscription of car - Dutchie
Your friend the mechanic should have gone with you before you bought the car.Hindsight is a fine thing.Keep the car if it is in good nick and drives ok for £700 its the price of a moped.

"I would've thought that if you're looking for a VTEC Prelude then its one of the most important factors"

He has bought the car so its condition is all important most Vtec motors are clapped out junk at that age he has probably bought the better option.The fact a genuine vtec has the logo all over the place and he did not notice it was missing and if it is so important he can buy the logo badges and stick them on.

Rare to see a VTEC die unless some fool forgets the oil.

The rest of the car usually rots away before the engine goes pop.
Built no different to any other Honda engine of that era and more likely than other models to have had a hard life.

Wrong.

And correct.

Oh, and timing belts do snap on occasion so they need replaced same as any belt-cam engine.

Edited by Lygonos on 18/01/2011 at 23:17

VTEC motors are particularly hard to kill. If you want a VTEC engined Honda then you're gonna be a bit dissapointed by a non-VTEC jobbie. I wouldn't want a 2.0 or a 2.3 Prelude.