What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Zetec 1400 04 Plate - Tapping Noise when lights are on Full Beam - stephie d

Can anyone please help. I have a tapping noise when my headlights are on full beam but not when the side lights are on. It is intermitant but very annoying. The noise is coming from behind the dash on the drivers side.

Thank you.

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1400 04 Plate - Tapping Noise when lights are on Full Beam - Peter.N.

The noise will probably be caused by a relay but what the cause will be I don't really know, it could be a fault on the actual light switch, try giving it a work out, that should clean the contacts a bit.

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1400 04 Plate - Tapping Noise when lights are on Full Beam - stephie d

When you say give it a work out do you mean turn it off and on a lot whilst the engine is off?

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1400 04 Plate - Tapping Noise when lights are on Full Beam - keithd

It sounds like it could be a problem with one of the headlight level motor if it has one. You could try listening to each headlight to see if that is where the noise is coming from.

Thanks Keithd

I have had another look and listen today the pitch of the noise changes when i move the dial that raises and lowers the headlights. The headlights incidently are not moving do you still think it could be the motor and are they expensive to replace.

Thank you.

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1400 04 Plate - Tapping Noise when lights are on Full Beam - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think that the cheapest option here is to disconnect the headlamp level motors(one on each headlight)and have the headlights adjusted manually to the correct height.hth

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1400 04 Plate - Tapping Noise when lights are on Full Beam - keithd

I'd be surprised if both motors have failed. Are you sure that both headlight beams are not adjusting - it is only the headlamp internals that move and not the headlamp itself. I would agree that the cheapest option is to disconnect and adjust manually, especially if two motors are required.