What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford fiesta 2002 - anti-lock braking on ice - arthurbbb

Driving very very slowly over sheet ice I instinctively touched the brake pedal when descending a small hill. Of course the wheels locked and I slid sideways on. Would the same thing have happened with anti lock brakes? The speed was around six to seven miles an hour. Is the technology that good?

ford fiesta 2002 - anti-lock braking on ice - davmal

My first car that was fitted with ABS had an operating threshhold of 14 mph+.

Just at the outset of the recent snows (whilst working in Fife) my current car's ABS packed up, owing to a failed sensor. I left fixing it until this week, I found driving in snow without ABS much more comfortable, they seem to cut in at much lower speeds now.

ford fiesta 2002 - anti-lock braking on ice - SlidingPillar

My landrover cuts in at about 3 mph. But if all four wheels are on ice, and your application of the brakes locks all four - you've parked... The fact you might still be moving is neither here nor there.

ABS is good, but not always!

ford fiesta 2002 - anti-lock braking on ice - ex-Triumph man

There always seems to be a mis-conception that abs will reduce braking distances. Not so. What it is designed to do is maintain your ability to steer the vehicle whilst braking on slippery surfaces.

ford fiesta 2002 - anti-lock braking on ice - bathtub tom

>>There always seems to be a mis-conception that abs will reduce braking distances. Not so.

I disagree. ABS will give you a far shorter stopping distance than locked-up wheels on nearly all surfaces. This more than compensates for the extremely rare occasion you find yourself on a surface where it's not an advantage.

Edited by bathtub tom on 07/01/2011 at 20:05

ford fiesta 2002 - anti-lock braking on ice - SteveLee
A locked wheel will stop you faster on deep (especially fresh) snow and gravel. On fresh snow ABS can leave you almost without brakes as it cuts in so readily.

ABS when triggered is unlocking the wheel (no brakes) for approximately 30% of the time, so the stopping distance isn't greatly (if at all) decreased over a reasonably skilled driver with conventional brakes. It's obviously a life saver in panic situations.
ford fiesta 2002 - anti-lock braking on ice - Red Baron

Yes, basically. If you lose grip, ABS effectively disengage the brakes until it can sense no further locking of the wheels. But only so long as you a still travelling forwards in a straight line. Once you have gone sideways, it is too late even for much cleverer systems such as stability control. When you are on the cusp of going sideways, stability control may well help lot, but again it really depends on the level of grip available.

When deceding a snowy or icy hill the general advice is to use engine braking and not the brakes especially as a light rear end will very quickly lose grip as you have found out.

Again, cold weather tyres help a lot. They are said to have about three times more grip than 'summer' tyres on both snow and ice.