What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV 2001-2004? - New job requires a new car - pzb

I am starting a new job in Feb which has a non-car allowance of £400 p/m. Having never had such a thing I am a bit lost.

I don't know whether to spend the £4,800 from savings and just replace it with the allowance, which would give me a lump sum to spend on a car that is needed to:

Do infrequent site visits in the South East - I live in Surrey so furthest would be Kent/Essex coast perhaps?

Carry family (2 adults 2 young kids and potentially a dog...) intermittantly

Be reliable & comfortable (& practical)

With the recent weather my head has been turned by an old CRV or a Freelander (or even an FRV, or other 4x4 - open to suggestion completely)

However the in-laws (more petrolheads than me) suggest a BMW 3 series type if I must buy - they recommend a HP or even leasing a car.

I have no idea about mileage, however the office is London based and I suspect most of my time (80%) will be there.

I am open to any suggestions and opinions - having been a steady commuter for the past decade a second car is a bit of a novelty. We have a sturdy 2004 passat estate for the family car currently. Not sure I want another estate, but a subaru might turn my head.

Many many thanks to anyone who respnds, I am a bit of a fish out of water here.

Honda CRV 2001-2004? - New job requires a new car - injection doc

To be honest, within your budget & type of driving/use you can't beat a Passat.

I have had 3 in the past for covering the SE, as far up as Skegness and for economey & motorway miles takes some beating.140bhp smoother than 170 & the DSG highline was the best for travelling excepted I hated reverse gear ( parking ) ! you have to rev it in reverse to move it ! awkard in tiny parking spot as there is no creep.I had 2 estates & one saloon, not pretty but did the job 100%

How about Audi 4 motion?

Old CRV the seats are a little soft & they are prone to side wind on a motorway. The passenger glove box is a real pain going all the way to the floor & the spare wheel on the tail gate is a pain in supermarket car parks.My diesel used to get about 40 on a run.

Old type Freelander slow & reliability isn't its strongest point. Hard work on very long drive.

New Freelander 2 totally different animal but still pricey

Even just the kent & Essex coast from Surrey can be hard when the traffics bad, done it many times & spent ,many hours queing at the Dartford bridge!

BMW 3 series, just a common old reps car now, on a motorway if a car is hard on your tail 9/10 its a beamer driven by a rep ! Diesel one expensive when it goes wrong, suffer with Turbo's & auto boxes

Aw man, so I have to become a passat family?!

Great response, many thanks. I think I can stomach a bit of discomfort as I don't think I will be on the road that often to that far flung places.

Agree that the budget is such a limiting factor - when is it not so!

So you would recommend buying a second hand car rather than pursuing a HP deal or a rental/lease agreement?

I will look at Audi A4 motion, not one I have considered - thanks.

Freelander 2 is out of price range? I have found a 53,000 mile 2004 edition which I was going to look at this weekend, however perhaps it isn't worth the effort.

Currently have the 1.9 TDI Highline estate. Perhaps I should get the wife the 4x4 (we are in Surrey after all...) and I take the estate. No problems with reverse thus far.

I have had plenty of experience with Sartfid as the in-laws live near Tiptree in Essex. Never fun.

THanks for your response, really excellent. If I were to take the estate and buy for the wife (she loves the big cars - pathfinders defenders etc) any suggestions there?

Cheers!

Honda CRV 2001-2004? - New job requires a new car - Avant

If you already have a Passat estate to take the family in, do you need another big car for your work? Something like a Ford Focus - as new as you can afford - would probably do the job just as well and more economically.

Honda CRV 2001-2004? - New job requires a new car - Dutchie
Agree with Avant on this one I have the Ford Focus 1.6 diesel comfortable to drive at least for me and my wife.Fine on the motorway had a trip to the south of france last year no problems and no backache.Economical I dont know the the miles per gallon figure but I am paying about the same as the previous honda jazz we had.Good luck.
Honda CRV 2001-2004? - New job requires a new car - NARU

I am starting a new job in Feb which has a non-car allowance of £400 p/m. Having never had such a thing I am a bit lost.

Don't forget you'll be taxed on the allowance.

Pants, you are quite correct.
Therefore I have about £2880...
That isn't going to buy me anything! Hmmn, well, I think I will still pay £4k.

In-laws have a focus, fine car if a bit dull, probably why I was looking at 4x4s as a bit of a variety. You are right though, I don't need a big car for this at all, however I prefer them having driven Audi A3s, Mini Cooper s and Morris Minors previously. Not ruling it out as it is a very good suggestion. Would love a Cooper S again!

Also it gives us some security if one car is out of action then the other would fit children and prams etc in.

I think it needs to be be so reliable that I can leave it for 2-3 months without starting it and then expect it to go again - any bright ideas there? Honda Civic?

There are some lexus around, however I know nothing about them.

Is the practical and sensible route to buy the newest, least mileage car I can, be it a Jazz or a fiesta, or is there a car that even with 70,000 miles on the clock would be a very safe and good buy?

Love the passat so happy to get a saloon one, perhaps VW would sponsor me...
Honda CRV 2001-2004? - New job requires a new car - Steven Quas

I would keep the Passat. If you find it doesn't cope with winter conditions then just get a second set of winter wheels and tyres. Unfortunately the Germans have been buying up all winter tyres as they changed the law here so you may have to wait until the summer. Sorry about that!

Steven Quas , Hamburg