What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford fiesta 1.3 1995 n reg - how to test electrics as no brake lights - Vinnychoff

could you help me to pinpoint what is wrong with Ants car. his brake lights are not working. i checked the bulbs with a meter, 21w 5 and they both are ok. no voltage to the light fittings when pressed.

disconnected the brake light switch, shorted the switch on both sides with a meter but the lights did not come on.

checked the fuse which is a 10amp and replaced the fuse with a 10 amp no change. checked with a meter and only one side of the fuse box is reading 12v. i thought both sides would be 12v? is this the fault.

im not sure if the fuse box is faulty? should there be power?

ford fiesta 1.3 1995 n reg - how to test electrics as no brake lights - elekie&a/c doctor

You need to establish if there is power to one side of the switch with ignition on.Bridging the wires at the switch with a meter will not work.Use a short piece of wire or a paper clip.If a fuse is good,then there should be 12 volts at both sides.Have you changed the fuse with a good one or another blown fuse?No way is the fuse box faulty on an Fiesta this age.hth

ford fiesta 1.3 1995 n reg - how to test electrics as no brake lights - Vinnychoff

thanks for your help.

from memory i did have 12v on one side of the switch. im not sure as i have another go tomorrow in the garage.

it was the brake light switch. it had fallen apart with the brass contact dropped out. repaired it and will buy a new one if it fails again.

thanks for your help!

Vinny