What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.8 Diesel 1994 irregular engine revs - JDog

Hello,

I have a 1994 1.8 Diesel Ford Fiesta. I am experiencing a very strange problem.

At times the engine just goes on and increases in revs. If I am on a low gear, 1st or 2nd, it literally jumps forward like it was boosted and suddenly it dies down.

At times when I feel it going to rev up I press clutch to check and truly enough it sort of goes flat out like full throttle.

It definately is not the throttle cable.

Any ideas?

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.8 Diesel 1994 irregular engine revs - jc2

Early Ford pumps used the pressure in the pump to retard the timing to nominal(on a diesel you advance the injection to start).If air is getting into the system it can cause the timing to change and the engine to surge.This type of pump required the throttle pushed to the floor to start so you got maximum advance and fuel;later ones with mechanical advance(cable from solenoid or directly by electrical connection to the pump) required the foot to be left off the accelerator.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.8 Diesel 1994 irregular engine revs - Peter.N.

I would agree, air getting into the fuel system is the probable cause, could be caused by a blocked fuel filter, has it been changed recently? Otherwise check the fuel lines from the pump to as far back as you can get. A section of clear plastic tube in the pump input would aid diagnosis.

Yes you seem to be pointing at what I was thinking.

In fact I had already replaced all the diesel pipework inside the engine compartment except the ones linking the injectors and the return which goes directly to tank if I am not mistaken, therefore shouldn't influence. Also fuel filters have been replaced around a million times to no avail.

This problem had arisen when sometime back I had found the manual pump bellow above the fuel filter had burst.

The mechanic had told me that I had to replace the whole fuel filter module. We did that and installed a clear glass type one (make = Lucas????).

But from then onwards the engine developed this strange behaviour and every now and then just increases the revs and I control it by engaging a gear and genty apply brakes to help it die down. At this point I also replaced the pipework as stated and have observed tiny bubbles coming out of the fuel pump but never coming in.

After that, recently I had found that the replacement manual fuel pump bellow developed a leak and was leaking fuel and therefore presumably leaking air in when in suction. I replaced again the top part of the fuel part including all the seals even the one below the glass bit, but I am still observing the tiny bubbles coming out of the fuel filter.

I know that maybe I am getting paranoid, but I had also observed tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom of that metal tube inside the glass compartment of the fuel filter. Obviously air will go up. Is it possible that it is gradually accumulating forming a bigger bubble and then suddenly this gets sucked in?

Is it possible that this type of fuel filter arrangement has a manufacturing defect?

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.8 Diesel 1994 irregular engine revs - jc2

I've never sen a glass fuel filter(well,not for about 50 years);I'd fit a genuine Ford one.I always remove the whole filter assy. to replace the element,this way you can make sure all the seals are correctly in place.

Well I might have mislead you. The actual filter is a normal one made of that paper like material.

The glass is just the container it is installed in. I am not referring to those small oes made of glass mate.

The original one was the can type that you screwed in directly but now this requires only the interior to be replaced.

Edited by JDog on 07/12/2010 at 12:14

Still haven't solved the problem.

Final attempt. Since I am replacing the water pump that was leaking I took the opportunity to take the diesel pump for a service at a qualified pump mechanic. I am hoping that the governor or something was actually getting stuck inside and therefore supplying extra fuel to the engine.

Will post update when ready

problem seems to have been solved by diesel pump service. crossing fingers :)