What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - which parking aid - eustace

I am planninbg to have a reverse parking aid fitted onto my car. I am thinking of getting either the Dolphin or Steelmate ones. Any recommendations on which one is better?

The dolphin ones seem to have tested better in the auto express tests, but the steel mate ones have something called anti false alarm technology, which is supposed to be espescially useful in rain.

Also is it worth going for one with a visual display? Does anyone find that useful?

Ford Focus - which parking aid - Collos25

First things first do you know that the model you intend to buy will fit the car,many rear plastic bumbers have a metal plate behind them stopping certain types of sensor from fitting.

Ford Focus - which parking aid - madf

I fitted the ones that go behind the number plate with no drilling.

(Meta SR2).

Easy to fit and adjust- works quite well.

If you want to spend a lot of money and clutter up your dash, buy a monitor.. But then Fitting - as above - is a MAJOR issue on many rear bumpers.. you have to remove them and drill lotsofholes..you spend $$$s.

As I can park to within 1 metre reversing, that's good enough fo me...

Edited by madf on 01/11/2010 at 16:24

Ford Focus - which parking aid - and display unit - eustace

I have confirmed with local installers that both models are suitable for the car.

Does anyone have experience of using the display unit? Does it add much value. I understand that it tells you on which side of the car the obstacle is located, and the distance in metrews to the obstacle. Any one has opinions on it's usre and accuracy?

Edited by rohann on 01/11/2010 at 16:45

Ford Focus - which parking aid - and display unit - Chris M

I find the system fitted to my CMax as standard works well and allows me to park within <0.5m. The system is called mirrors. Simple, but effective.

Ford Focus - which parking aid - and display unit - piggy

I can confirm the Dolphin Audio one works well.My system has been running with no problems for about two years. It can be fitted easily once you get the rear bumper off.My car(and probably most newish cars)come with location marks on the inside of the bumper.Dolphin`s kit come with a hole-saw of the correct diameter for drilling the holes. It`s much easier to forget about the display system,just mount the sounder module out of sight in the boot. Since I have mentioned Dolphin before on this forum,I hasten to add I have no connection whatsoever with the company. I just find it difficult to believe such a low priced system (£50 or so) works so well.

"I find the system fitted to my CMax as standard works well and allows me to park within <0.5m. The system is called mirrors. Simple, but effective."

I am not sure how it is with the CMax, but the sharply sloping rear windscreen on the focus hatchback makes judging rear distance quite difficult.

Actually even judging front distance is not easy as because of the dropping bonnet and slanted front windscreen, you feel that "you are driving the windscreen rather than the car" to quote a comment by HJ, regarding another car.

Thanks, your commenta were helpfull. However I intend to get the system professionally installed, as I am not very handy. That adds anoth £85 to the cost. I was just trying to decide whether its worth stumping up another £50 for the display.