What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus estate - Alloy wheel and tyre sizing - focus1

New to all this and looking for some guidance. I have no idea how to select a set of alloys and what size wheel and tyre for my new focus 1.6 TDCi estate (56) plate.

Can anyone help me out currently has steels @ 16" with 205/55R16/w91 tyres.

Lots of used 15" and 17" around but what do i need and what effect will this have on the car speedo, handling etc

thanks in advance.

ford focus estate - Alloy wheel and tyre sizing - bathtub tom

First of all speak to your insurers. If you don't tell them about a change to your car, you could be in serious trouble if you need to make a claim. You'll probably find they'll want an increase in premium for changing your wheel/tyre size.

If you're still not put off, this site will tell you the change to your gearing different wheel diameter and tyre width will make (just after halfway down, 'A tyre size calculator')

www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Finally. Ford spend millions on research into design, materials, safety,comfort and handling of your car. Do you think your change will be an improvement?

ford focus estate - Alloy wheel and tyre sizing - focus1

I was hoping to pick up some focus zetec alloys and not have to tell the insurance as they are a standard issue but on a different model, is this the case ? Of course if they have to know then they have to know I agree.

I would like the car to look better hence the alloys not necessarily performance related.

Might even go down to a 15" with a 195/65 as I have been told this would give a better more comfortable ride, but I have no idea to honest.

I agree why bother but alloys can and do often make a great difference to how the car looks as opposed to steels with trims.

ford focus estate - Alloy wheel and tyre sizing - mikej

I was hoping to pick up some focus zetec alloys and not have to tell the insurance as they are a standard issue but on a different model, is this the case ? Of course if they have to know then they have to know I agree.

You're right - alloys were standard on some models and not others, but then the different models were in different insurance groups to reflect the differences in trim/spec/performance.

Upgrading steel wheels to alloys definitely counts as a modification so you should really inform your insurance company if you do this. Some people probably wouldn't bother but it's not worth the risk IMO.

It might not make much difference to your premium, although there would probably be an admin charge at least - I'd phone and ask first if I was you.

ford focus estate - Alloy wheel and tyre sizing - jc2

The Driver's manual will normally show you which wheel/tyre combinations are approved for your car-you'll also need the correct wheelnuts/bolts.

ford focus estate - Alloy wheel and tyre sizing - Paul G1pdc

HI. been there done that..and paid for it...TWICE

I used to own a Y reg mk3 mondeo 2litre LX. standard 16" steel wheels with plastic trims all totally standard. When i needed 4 new tyres I did some searching and found a Ford breakers in Essex, (I live in Oxfordshire) I then bought 4x mondeo ghia 17" alloy wheels+ tyres for my car for £100 less than getting standard replacement tyres for the 16" wheels. (rep had written off his car 20miles after picking it up,. the tyres still had the waxy green marking around the tread...so I bought wheels and tyres for less than a set of 16" tyres for my car....but......thought like you...standard wheels on the same model..insurance said it was a modification and loaded me £50. the same amount as if i'd just bought some aftermarket stuff from Halfords...

had the same on another previous car had a impreza sport (non turbo) 2003 reg. with 15" alloys and replaced them with impreza wrx 17" wheels insured through a different company,,,and yep £50 increase,,,as said check the radius and offset to make sure the speedo and mileometer arn't affected.

paul.