What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda - burnt clutch - DennisPennis

I think I may have burnt my clutch the other day with a loaded car on a hill start.

What was surprising to me was that the car did not stall, the clutch was let out fully and then when I tried to move off, the car just revved, then the limiter came in, then it revved again and after a few seconds, smoke came out of the bonnet.

I let it cool down for about 30mins and it seemed fine after that but could it be damaged?

Honda - burnt clutch - madf

You have probably just burned a bit of the clutch lining. Keep doing it regularly - or not waiting till it cools - and you could damage it irreparably.

But as you stoppped and let it cool you may be OK. But everything has got very hot and the clutch internal springs may fail earlier than they normally would...or the lining shred ..

Just drive normally and you may very well be OK. Keep abusing it and you will have problems in the future but when or how long? Dunno.

After the 30mins, I drove on - would this have been long enough? I was under the impression the clutch was only used when changing gear but would driving have made it hotter again? Driving at motorway speeds, I figured it might cool down more.
Honda - burnt clutch - Roly93

But as you stoppped and let it cool you may be OK. But everything has got very hot and the clutch internal springs may fail earlier than they normally would...or the lining shred ..

I applaud the optimism, but any car that has got into the position of revving in gear with the clutch out is very sick indeed, so I'd say sell now, or look for the best garage to change the clutch assy.

Honda - burnt clutch - bathtub tom

>>I think I may have burnt my clutch the other day with a loaded car on a hill start. What was surprising to me was that the car did not stall, the clutch was let out fully and then when I tried to move off, the car just revved

Sounds to me like the clutch was shot anyway.

even with the weight?
We're not talking about a couple of people here, it had the entire boot and back seats packed with belongings and also something on the roof rack (had to be at least 300kgs+ and then 2 people in the front seats.
But I was surprised it didn;t stall and the clutch slipped instead?
Honda - burnt clutch - martint123
even with the weight? We're not talking about a couple of people here, it had the entire boot and back seats packed with belongings and also something on the roof rack (had to be at least 300kgs+ and then 2 people in the front seats. But I was surprised it didn;t stall and the clutch slipped instead?

Any half decent clutch will stall the engine before just slipping. It is knackered and will only get worse. Do you hear the engine revs rise in top gear when you put your (accelerator) foot down?

"Do you hear the engine revs rise in top gear when you put your (accelerator) foot down?" No, not anything abnormal anyway - engine revs as expected. Full service was done recently as well - no mention of any wear.

Edited by DennisPennis on 14/10/2010 at 16:43

Honda - burnt clutch - Collos25

Put the car in second gear with hand brake on set off if it stalls the clutch has some life in it if the revs rise its wants replacing.

stalled in 2nd gear when doing the above so all seems ok.