What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0 TDCi - High oil consumption - Peter

My car has just recently started to consume engine oil at a great rate.

There are no stains or marks on the parking lot nor do I see plumes of blue smoke on start up or when on the road.

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance.

Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0 TDCi - High oil consumption - Dutchie

Hello Peter what do you mean by great rate?Do you drive a lot of short runs or motorway driving does the car drive ok?I drive a focus tdci used a bit of oil on short runs on a long motorway drive to the south of france not a drop.

Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0 TDCi - High oil consumption - Roly93

Could be the turbo bearings, one of the main causes of oil consumption on turbo diesels I think.

Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0 TDCi - High oil consumption - Peter D

You do not mention how many miles the car has done. With diesels leaking bearings in the Turbo can be burnt off as if the oil was diesel. However if the sump breather sustem is clogged up the increase pressure can eat oil. How much are you using per 1000 miles. Regards Peter

Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0 TDCi - High oil consumption - Peter
Mileage = 136K, mainly motorway.

I put two litres in on Sunday am and after 50 miles I had to put in around 0.5 litre.

If the engine is burning oil even via the turbo, I would expect to see some blue smoke.

Many thanks for the advice.

Peter

Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0 TDCi - High oil consumption - Peter D

Wow. if the car is running and you open the oil filler cap is the engine under pressure. ?

If you can remove the pressure pipe to the intercooler is the inside full of oil, there will always be some oil coating in there but it should not be excessive.

Regards Peter