What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.8 - Year 2000 model - Front wheel juddering when braking - focuson

Does anyone know why my Focus judders through the steering wheel when brakes are applied?

The front discs and pads are only nine months old and there are absolutely no signs of juddering during normal driving

Any help would be welcomed

Thanks

Ford Focus 1.8 - Year 2000 model - Front wheel juddering when braking - Roly93

Even though the discs are still newish, they are almost certainly warped given the symptoms. I had this on a 12 month old car, I would take it back to where you got the discs and claim under the warranty for the discs.

I'm having a look this weekend. Thanks for the advice

Ford Focus 1.8 - Year 2000 model - Front wheel juddering when braking - Robin the Technician

Most definitely the discs are warped. It's under warranty so take it back and get it fixed for free. don't let them fob you off by saying you caused it or its 'wear and tear' . It's warranty and its a free fix.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Ford Focus 1.8 - Year 2000 model - Front wheel juddering when braking - Collos25

There could be other reasons like worn suspension or steering bushes,worn shocker bushes,loose wheel perhaps it is a warped disc but you would normally feel this through the brake pedal a judder sounds a bit different.

I'm having a look this weekend and will let you know what I find

Thanks for now

Ford Focus 1.8 - Year 2000 model - Front wheel juddering when braking - Roly93

There could be other reasons like worn suspension or steering bushes,worn shocker bushes,loose wheel perhaps it is a warped disc but you would normally feel this through the brake pedal a judder sounds a bit different.

Sorry, dont agree with this. Having seen the symptoms of warped discs several times it almost always manifests itself as judder through the steering. Ususally if you brake lightly on a smooth road at 40-60 this is the best way to see it.

To feel warped discs through the brake pedal thgey would have to catastrophically warped.

Thanks I'm having a look this weekend

After a lot of work I discovered the cause of the brake juddering.

It was the steering knuckle (the bit where the drive shaft, track rod end and brake caliper fit to. One of the threaded holes where the brake caliper sliding pin bolts screw into had lost its thread and the sliding bolt (hardened steel) had worn the hole in the cast iron (softer) and there was a lot of play so the caliper was only being held firmly by one of its two bolts.

So the lesson for me is that it's not always the obvious. I had assumed it was the brake disc.

Hope this helps

Ford Focus 1.8 - Year 2000 model - Front wheel juddering when braking - Collos25

As I said, glad you sorted it out nothing worse than vibrations and wobbles they are really annoying.

Ford Focus 1.8 - Year 2000 model - Front wheel juddering when braking - Madstan66

Hi- I've got the same problem and just wondering how you sorted it?

Does anyone know the size of the Caliper bolts-are they M10 x 1.5 ? Mines a 1.6 Focus Zetec 2000

Ford Focus 1.8 - Year 2000 model - Front wheel juddering when braking - mikej

Hi- I've got the same problem and just wondering how you sorted it?

Does anyone know the size of the Caliper bolts-are they M10 x 1.5 ? Mines a 1.6 Focus Zetec 2000

I would just order one from Ford - they shouldn't be too expensive and they usually ask for your reg number, so that way you'll be sure of getting the right size.