What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi ghia 55 (2005) - Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi ghia 55 (2005) - redviking

Hi,

I am on the look out for a new Mondeo and have come across a 2.0 TDCi ghia, 2005 (55)

The car is well priced and comes with a partial service history, the last service was this month by the dealer selling. The car has a milage of approx 92k. The car is an ex fleet car

Now I know of the problems with the DMF and injector failures and recodings. I have emailed the seller and asked if any of these problems have been looked at in the past services. They have not got back to me yet but i'm genuinely concerned they might not have been done in the past, and could end up going on me when I get the car. I dont fancy a 1k plus bill!

I have heard that these problems where more known on models before 2005, whether this is true or not I dont know.

Would it be best to stay away from this car if the known problems have NOT been replaced in the past. I really like the look of the car and it is in mint condition

Steve

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi ghia 55 (2005) - Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi ghia 55 (2005) - essex619

Hi there,

I have alot of ford mondeos in our taxi fleet ranging from years 2004 to 2008.. Zetec and Ghia versions...

Right with a mileage like 92k be aware when it reaches approximately 95k to 110k somewhere along the line you will definately need to change the following if it already has not been done so...

• Alternator & Car battery (approx cost £350-£500 incl.labour)
  • Clutch and Flywheel (Approx geniune parts etc. cost £2000 incl labour)
  • Pulley replacement (unknown approx cost)

If i was you my friend, I would blow this vehicle out and look for something else its going to cost you in a few months depending on the miles you do aweek/amonth...

or if the cars been reasonably prices at the region of £2500 - £3500 then yeah go for it... but would not certainly pay more than £3500 whatever the condition... Ex Fleet cars are good as they are usually maintained well by the manufacturers...

Be careful before making purchase.. Trust me I got about 15 of these mondeos being used as taxis.. I know what and at what mileage things tend to play up.. oo good thing is a timing belt is never required as its chain!! :)

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi ghia 55 (2005) - Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi ghia 55 (2005) - redviking

Thanks for the info Essex!

I was expecting an answer like that to be honest, I do approx 10k a year so maybe avoiding a diesel would be a good thing anyway.

I have seen a 1.8 Ghia sci Mondeo 2006 with 38k on the clock for almost the same price. I might look into getting that instead

Steve

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi ghia 55 (2005) - Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi ghia 55 (2005) - DuncanSuperb

I'd like to resurrect this thread as I am actively looking for a big family estate car (with reasonable towing capability) and thought i had narrowed the choice down to a mondeo TDCI. Our budget of about £5k in todays market would buy an 06 model with 60-80k miles. Presumably without the DMF replacement.

Having read the advice above I'm now fearful of continuing this plan and would be interested to know what BRers might suggest as alternatives that can offer a better chance of longevity less the bills!

thanks

duncan