What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The adventure begins... - Citroënian {P}
Well, this is a rare happening. I've got a brand new MINI Cooper parked up outside. After the three month or so wait we've finally got our hands on it. And having driven it around the roads and motorways today I don't think we're going to be disappointed. Of course, if we are I'll post here! :-)

Just a quick thanks to HJ, Andy S and everyone else who gave me advice on choosing. I've taken HJ's advice and not opted for the super hard sports suspension+ with 17" wheels and I think that's a wise move. His recommendation that it's "the most fun car there is" (C by C) I'd find hard to dispute. And Andy, thanks for putting the seed there in the first place.

Of course, we'll be living on beans until it's paid for (well, perhaps beans and chips)

I'll drive it for a bit and then post a driving report in Technical. Just a quickie - what sort of MPG are people getting with their MINIs? 43mpg seems a bit optimistic...

Lee.

>>>The seed:
Going Nuts? - Andy S Thu 25 Jul 02 12:17

Lee,

My opinions:

1 - I don't know what sort of mileage and roads you drive, but I would recommend you think very carefully, try a couple of long journeys in a small car and then consider whether the brand new car appeals more than the comfort, stability and safety of a 2-year old £7k larger car (or your existing Xantia).

2 - If you are happy with the concept of the smaller car consider very very carefully whether you can afford to stretch your budget a few thousand to buy a Mini. Go on, you know it makes sense! Sensible argument is that depreciation will be peanuts compared with the Italian or French stuff, and build quality and reliability should (though I take no responsibility here) be way better.

Good luck

Andy

The adventure begins... - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

"I've taken HJ's advice and not opted for the super hard sports suspension+ with 17" wheels"

Boo..............

The adventure begins... - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

So, has Citroenian turned into Miniian........?
The adventure begins... - Ian Cook
Nice to hear from you, Lee - and glad that you really like the car that replaced your Xantia. Of all the modern "lifestyle" cars I think the new Mini takes the biscuit. I'm quite envious!

With regard to the photo gallery, perhaps some of the new faces ought to post their mugshots!

Ian Cook
The adventure begins... - Citroënian {P}
Thanks Ian,

We've already put 200 miles on it (24 hours!) and loved it. It's even fun to watch the SWMBO driving it while following her in the Clio - it looks so cute!

Can't think of anything I don't like about it yet, apart from the torrential rain it's been driven through today that has well and truly done for the shiny showroom finish. Back to the polishing thread...!

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the gallery. It almost got shut down last week through inactivity. Seems to me that there must be some ugly b*ggers around here, or perhaps they're just intimidated by the handsome mugshots of your goodself, Jonathan, Mark(RLBS) and me!

If anyone's new-ish here, there are some photos of some forum folk and some of their transport at communities.msn.com/honestjohn

I kinda administrate it - it's not part of this site, just a off-shoot I put together and you can send me photos to add there at the address in my profile (Click my name above this post). If you're sufficiently handsome! ;-)

And Miniian? Can't quite shake off all those years of following the Chevrons that easily! It'll have to stay for a while yet!

Lee

PS - I think the 17" and SS+ would have done for my spine, but having driven a Cooper with that set up, and having an absolute ball in it, I reckon it'd have been worth it!