What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo TDCi (2002) - Starting Problem - lilley

This problem occurs only in hot weather and mainly when the engine is also hot although occasionally when it is only warm. In the July French heatwave it got to the point that the following three stage procedure had to be gone through every time I started the car.

1) Go through starting procedure, lights on fascia go out, starter motor spins, engine will not start, switch off.

2) Go through starting procedure, lights on fascia go out, engine management light starts to flash, if ignition key is turned starter motor will spin but engine will not start.

3) Go through starting procedure, lights on fascia go out, starter motor spins, engine starts.

We have a 2002 Ford Focus TDCi which very occasionally exhibits the same symptoms during hot weather.

Any thoughts please? Does anybody know a fix? Ford do not!

HAL

Ford Mondeo TDCi (2002) - Starting Problem - tazmania4580

ecu, just guessing sorry

The problem has not occurred since July 2010. Both cars start perfectly at present. I would expect the problem to recur next summer.

It still seems to me to be a combination of heat of the sun and stagnant diesel. Any ideas please?

Ford Mondeo TDCi (2002) - Starting Problem - jonlad1974

try a different diesel fuel its not bio your using is it

Now theres a thought. Could be the difference between French and English diesei I surpose. I generally buy Supermarket diesel but in France I check the pumpsin detail first to ensure that I am not making any obvious mistakes. Do the French put bio in their 'gaz oil'?