What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1.6 Zetec 2001 Estate (140,000 miles) - Ford Focus Engine Life - Geoff Dude

Hi All

I have a Ford Focus Estate as detailed above with 140,000 miles on the clock. I do quite high miles (motorway) 40,000 - 50,000 year. The car has been very reliable but i am afraid that i might be coming into expensive times taking into account the mileage. Should i keep and just replace the normal cambelts and oil etc and keep fingers crossed or should i change to a BMW 5 Series with 100,000 miles on the clock as i have heard that these are capable of very high miles. I really like the ford as bits are always so cheap but then again i look inside a 5 series and think i have reached heaven. Please could you assist me in making a decision or give some guidance as too suitable replacements if you are not happy with my choice. My budget is £3,000 approx.

Cheers

Geoff

1.6 Zetec 2001 Estate (140,000 miles) - Ford Focus Engine Life - madf

Expensive times for a Focus are cheap compared toa BMW.

Multiply all costs by 3 or 4..

Then think again. A £3k BMW is unlikely to have been serviced and maintained properly by its last owners... so you could be buying a very expensive repair bll in the next 10k miles... (think head gaskets or clutch),

And the price of tyres.. or exhausts..

1.6 Zetec 2001 Estate (140,000 miles) - Ford Focus Engine Life - Geoff Dude

Thanks for that. I saw a 520se 2001 for £2500 with 125,000 miles. Looked in good nick but i dont want to leap into the frying pan.

Some people swear by these cars but i am glad i asked now.

Thanks

1.6 Zetec 2001 Estate (140,000 miles) - Ford Focus Engine Life - Collos25

Clutches and headgasgets are quite easy jobs on BMW 5 series and not expensive if you do it youself but they are heavy on fuel and suspension parts are expensive and if they are autos you could be looking at a very expensive repair costs.

There are plent of cars around that are far better to own than an old BMW but they do look nice and drive extremely well.Why not look for a newer focus you must know them inside out after all those miles.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 04/08/2010 at 20:20