What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Focus mk 1 v Astra - Focus_Driver

I recently drove a 2000 reg Astra 1.4 16v and was very impressed by it, most particularly the smooth gear change and how lively and smooth the engine was (for a 1.4). I have a 1.8 petrol focus and the astra felt "as fast" though I would say the focus has the edge on road holding as it feels more rigid but the Asra wasn't exactly sloppy.

I only drove the Astra around the block so really can't make a proper judgement but I have always looked down on the Astra when comparing it to the focus. If my 1.8 focus was compared to say a 1.8 sxi or a 1.6 even would it stand a chance?

Ford Focus - Focus mk 1 v Astra - cheddar

The GM 16v engines of that era are very crisp and free revving (if looked after), the Ford 1.4 and 1.6 are also very sweet though the 1.8 and 2.0 less so, harsher and a little gruff.

The Astra is also good to drive, better than a Mk IV Golf for instance, though not up to Focus standards.

Ford Focus - Focus mk 1 v Astra - Focus_Driver

Yeah I agree with you about the focus 1.8 petrol as I have one.

Ford Focus - Focus mk 1 v Astra - primeradriver

Surprised about the Astra gearchange to be honest, I've always despised that ZF unit they put into the Astra.

Edited by primeradriver on 17/07/2010 at 21:00