What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 2005 - Strange starting problem - focuskev

I have an intermittent start problem on this car in the respect that if I have started first time, gone about my business,turn off and lock up then go back to the car in an hour it doesn't start and I have to wait a few hours for it to 'reset' then attempt to restart which most times it does. Ive noticed this also when I go back into it to retrieve something without starting then it won't start a short while after that.

I started thinking immobiliser but all the dash signs (i.e. the red flashing light) indicates this is working correctly as advised by a guy on 'Just Answer' website. The remote key has been checked by Ford and so has the system and its had a PCM reset to no avail. It locks and unlocks fine and will give the same problem with the standard (non remote) key. Ford didnt come across the non start problem but presumably they did all the checks inside half an hour so it didnt show up. I even thought is it a mobile phone interferring with the cars system!

Its totally inconvenient and Im being stranded having to wait a couple of hours for it to decide its going to start up. Ive got it going in again to Ford but I'd be grateful for any help before hand.

Thanks

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 2005 - Strange starting problem - markII

I have a very simular problem on the 2.0 TDCI, although when it does not start after the hour i only have to wait 20 minutes then it does start. it is currently with ford for the second time so we will see what today brings.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 2005 - Strange starting problem - MikeTorque

Have Ford done a engine management system software reinstall ? If not then get one done. I've known some very weird things similar to this occuring as a result of software becoming corrupted.

Hi. Ive just picked up this response as have not been on here for a while. Thanks and I will try this.

Edited by focuskev on 13/03/2011 at 19:32

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 2005 - Strange starting problem - markII

guess my starting issue must be slightly different as it appears air was getting into injector 4 a new injector and pipe has sorted it

Hi.

How did you get on with this?

Regards

Have recently called my local Ford and have been told they do not carry out full reinstall but only do updates. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Also this problem I have seems also to be affected by hot sunny days I have noticed recently. Any ideas anyone?

Edited by focuskev on 24/04/2011 at 08:12