What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Corolla Verso / Honda CRV / Nissan X trail - Three child seats and a big boot - hcm

Does anyone have experience of running a Picasso as well a Verso or a CRV Mk2 or an X-trail? I'm planning on trading in my Picasso for one of the above.

How does the space in the boot compare? Which is the most spacious for three car seats? (assuming the Verso's boot is full and the extra two aren't being used).

I've had a look at each but would value an opinion of someone who has owned two (or ideally, but unlikely all three).

Finally although I'm sure they are very nice I don't want a Zafira, a Touran or a Mondeo.

Thanks.

Toyota Corolla Verso / Honda CRV / Nissan X trail - Three child seats and a big boot - Mchenry

I am presently running a 2003 Xtrail and a 2006 Corolla Verso.

What is it you want an opinion on? You don't need me to tell you how big the boot is.

Both are diesels, the Corolla is the 177 hp version with 5 seats.

I will be changing the Xtrail in September but not for another one, although I'm pretty satisfied. I'm going to get a RAV4.

Why? I've had a couple of minor quality issues which the dealer at little expense could have fixed and kept me happy (after all, it was my 3rd Nissan in a row). The importer wasn't interested and advised me to take it up with the delaer.

There are 2 major reasons: the present model has been lengthened compared to mine and the boot is enormous (especially if you remove the floor) but I just don't need an enormous boot any more. I want a diesel automatic, but the autobox doesn't shift into 6th until 120 km/h. That's over 70, so if you stay within the limits in Britain, you'll never see 6th. If you use manual mode and force it into 6th at 100 km/h, as soon as you go back to auto mode (which is probably why you paid 1400 euros extra) it shifts down into 5th again. It would seriously irritate me going everywhere (I very rarely use motorways) in 5th using more fuel than necessary.

The Corolla has had a series of engine management/anti pollution system faults - it limped home on 5 occasions. The problems were dealt with efficiently with support from the importer, so I'm prepared to belive that I was just very unlucky. A search on the Net doesn't show any recurrent , well-known shortcomings.

Toyota Corolla Verso / Honda CRV / Nissan X trail - Three child seats and a big boot - hcm

Thanks for that - interesting.

'What do you want an opinion on?' - exactly what you've put in your post - a personal comparison between two of the cars in question.

I realise posts asking people to comment on two or three cars can end up in circles but it is useful to get a spectrum of thoughts that can help with the decision making.

Toyota Corolla Verso / Honda CRV / Nissan X trail - Three child seats and a big boot - NigelFN

Hi there, we bought an 2003 X-Trail a few years ago after getting a bit frustrated at the lack of choice on cheap automatic MPVs.

It was great to drive, but with three kids, there was just not enough space. Boot was very small with the wheel arches and there was always a fight over the side seats in the back. Fuel economy was poor (though that was my fault - 2.5 Petrol) and depreciation kicked in far worse than repairs.

We replaced it with a Zafira in the end (although I know it's off your list - the only bad thing about the Zafira is the bench seat. More comfortable if your children are in car seats.)

For our main car, we got an Espace - as advised by another Honest John back room advice (you can search for the thread). It's a bit expensive, mostly reliable but just so comfortable and practical. Love it to bits. I went for the normal one, not the Grand - it's a very square, practical car. Easy to park because of the shape, although a bit wide.

When we bought that one, I came close to buying a C4 Grand Picasso. Would have worked out far cheaper to run, and more fun to drive but nothing like as comfortable or practical imho.

Hope this helps, Nigel.

A huge help - thanks. I think I need to take all three car seats and an average load that we would take on holiday and see how well it fits in each, and eating my words here, will look at the Zafira!

Toyota Corolla Verso / Honda CRV / Nissan X trail - Three child seats and a big boot - Avant

If a Zafira isn't roomy enough, and your budget will run to it, add the Ford S-Max to your shortlist. Likely to be more fun to drive than some other MPVs.

Edited by Avant on 22/05/2010 at 23:54

Toyota Corolla Verso / Honda CRV / Nissan X trail - Three child seats and a big boot - Lygonos

CRV II wont fit 3 car seats across the back, but is otherwise a great machine with few reliability issues.

The FRV does, with 3+3 full size seats, but the boot is only average (430-ish litres) although a rear seat can be folded down and a kid put in the middle front seat assuming they are not in a rear-facing seat.

Toyota Corolla Verso / Honda CRV / Nissan X trail - Three child seats and a big boot - xtrailman

The new xtrail from 2007 on, has a huge boot if you remove the raised shelf, which i find pointless and heavy around 25kg at a guess.

The rear seat seats 3, and would be ideal for kids, but not adults as the rear seats are raised, so headroom is poor for adults, and the rear doors are small.

Try and get one with satnav, this will give you the rearview camera, as rear view is compromised, as is the new CRV, the boot in the CRV is smaller, but compares well with the MK1 xtrail.

I can recommend the 171bhp version.

Toyota Corolla Verso / Honda CRV / Nissan X trail - Three child seats and a big boot - xtrailman

I have just received a email from the web master saying a post i made was removed for being offensive?

Under this topic.

As far as i can remember the only post on this topic that i have posted is the one above?

If i have posted anything offensive please accept my apologies

Toyota Corolla Verso / Honda CRV / Nissan X trail - Three child seats and a big boot - Avant

No worries - for some reason your post appeared twice and I removed one of them. Sorry - the software rather inflexibly assumes that anything removed is offensive.

Edited by Avant on 29/05/2010 at 01:15