What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 2.0 2003 - Starting, idling problems - NEILJONES

My car shakes when starting when hot and sometimes takes a few times to start, also when hot and idling after starting the car it seems to rev up slighlty on its own every few seconds, like a vroom and pulsing feeling in the car, this goes once the cars starts to move.

Any ideas.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 2003 - Starting, idling problems - Gregory II

This points to the idle speed control valve. I am not sure which it has: a venturi type I presume. It can be cleaned out, but refer closely to the workshop manual for this. HT leads might also be at fault here: check them visually and perhaps with an amp clamp if you have one: again, refer to the manual for your car so you don't impede any damage.

I am sure someone else will post with lots more clarification!!

Ford Mondeo 2.0 2003 - Starting, idling problems - NEILJONES

Thanks for your reply, I was told the hot idle reving problem is called hunting, not sure what this means or what causes it.

It only happens when the car is hot and when its stopped and started again, it vanishes after driving 100 yards or so,

My other hot starting problem has vanished for the time being, not sure if a reoccuring problem is worse then one thats there all the time.

I had a 1997 mondeo with 150k on and never had an ounce of trouble engine wise, bought a car 6 years newer with only 60,000 miles on and have had loads of starting hot idle problems.

Edited by NEILJONES on 09/05/2010 at 04:48

Ford Mondeo 2.0 2003 - Starting, idling problems - Gregory II

The Honestjohn 'car by car' comparison shows the idle control valve as a known issue, in addition to many other issues!